cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to rest account password

craigchamley
Tuning in

Hi 

I have been unsuccessful in resetting my virgin.net account password, despite filling in my DOB and security question. I have seen a few threads about orphaned accounts, but i am certain this is unrelated as i was using the email account up until two days ago when my phone was stolen. i am currently in colombia so unable to easily make a call to the helpline.
Is there any reason why when entering my security answers and DOB the page just reloads?

8 REPLIES 8

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@craigchamley wrote:

Is there any reason why when entering my security answers and DOB the page just reloads?

Well, if your account is an orphan account that could well be the reason why you cannot reset the password.

I have just tried that reset link (https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password)  and it is currently working for me. Sadly there is no other way you can use to reset the password on your account,

Virgin Media do have a policy of deleting orphan email accounts (those are email accounts not linked to a live Virgin Media broadband account) and sadly they never give any warning to the account holder. Therefore your virgin.net account may well have just been deleted by VM as part of that process even though it was working 2 days ago.

Do you still have a Virgin Media broadband account? If so, one of the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) can take a look at this and get it sorted for you

However, if you no longer have a VM broadband account then the Forum Team are going to be very limited in the help they can give you.

One of the team will contact you via this thread in the next day or so.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I do not believe it is an orphan account - I was using this account for emails right up until the day my phone was stolen, now 3 days ago.

I believe we still use virgin broadband as a family yes, this would be owned by my parents way back when though.

Please can one of the staff contact me via the forum, I am in Colombia and do not have the ability to make a call to the 0345 number. Without my SIM or access to this email I lose access to everything. 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@craigchamley wrote:

I believe we still use virgin broadband as a family yes, this would be owned by my parents way back when though.

Please can one of the staff contact me via the forum, I am in Colombia and do not have the ability to make a call to the 0345 number. Without my SIM or access to this email I lose access to everything. 

One of the Forum Team will contact you via this forum in the next day or so.

Bear in my mind though that in most cases VM staff will need to talk to the actual VM account holder (the one whose name is on the Broadband contract) before making changes such as resetting the password, They have a legal requirement to check that they are conversing with the Virgin Media account holder because failure to do that could, for example, enable a hacker to gain control of the email account for fraudulent purposes such as identity theft

I hope that your confidence that the account has not been deleted as an orphan account is justified. I must admit I have read and contributed to too many posts here where people have been left distraught because their VM email has been deleted without warning. "I have been using it for xx years but today it's gone" is the sort of thing I have tried to help people with on many many occasions. 

The main thing to understand is that even if your virgin.net email account is still currently active, it could disappear for good at any moment if it is not part of a live VM account.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

okay, believe my family still use virgin broadband so assuming that counts as a live VM account. given both their virgin.net accounts are still active i am confident mine would be.
is it possible to contact virgin customer support via internet calling apps such as Skype?

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@craigchamley 

I have escalated your post to the Forum Team, Hopefully one of them will contact you via the this thread today.

Coenoby

Hello craigchamley, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community. I am sorry to see you cannot acess your email.

Okay, so I want to look into this personally for you, so I am going to send you a PM.

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

okay thank you all, will look forward to your message

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@craigchamley wrote:

okay thank you all, will look forward to your message

The PM from @Matthew_ML should have arrived very soon after his post. Look for the purple envelope icon at the top right corner of this Community forum page.

@craigchamley 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs