cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to connect to email server to verify information

TEAK36
Tuning in

Hi,

For the past few days my VM (.ntlworld.com) emails will not synch whilst connected to wifi, but as soon as I switch off wifi and use mobile data they synch ok. My email settings must be correct if the synch works via mobile data. I had a look at the email settings and all looks correct, but as soon as I click on 'done' I get an 'unable to connect to email server to verify information' message when connected via wifi.

Any help would be greatly received.

3 REPLIES 3

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would be helpful to see what VM error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. Open a Command Shell or Terminal window and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password 2>&1 | (where findstr && (findstr  "235 VM") || (grep "235\\|VM")) 

Post the redacted results here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @TEAK36

Welcome back to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making this post regarding the sync issues you are experiencing with your NtlWorld email address, I'm sorry to hear that they only sync when connected to Mobile data. Does the issue only occur when you access emails on your mobile?

Have you tried resetting the network settings on your mobile?

Kind regards,

Serena

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. It appears the issue is with My work wifi as the problem only occurs when connected to work wifi. My VM emails synch without issues when connected to wifi. I will discuss with my work IT department. Thanks for your help.