Menu
Kain_W
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 11 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: genuine emails blocked by virgin

Hi ALF28,

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

Apologies for the confusion from my end, can I ask do you face issues in sending emails from the proposed email address?

Thanks,

Kain
0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 12 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I can not send email from my mail.com  email to my virgin email, it is blocked by virgin.

I can send email from my mail.com to gmail.com, but is goes to the spam folder.

the warning message from gmail is-

Why is this message in spam? 

Lots of messages from mail.com were identified as spam in the past.

So, wheras gmail (google) identify my mail.com email  as a spam sender, even though the email is genuine, so it can be selected as not spam, but virgin just block any emails from mail.com, so they do not arrive at all.

The problem is with mail.com which has been listed in spamhause, I will suspend use of mail.com (gmx) until they rectify the issue.

alf28

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 13 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi ALF28,

Thank you for coming back to us and for the update, it sounds like something is being picked up as spam Email for us to be blocking it and Gmail sending to spam, have you ran an anti virus scan to check this?

Regards

Paul.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 14 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@Paul_DN 

The problem is that you are blocking the following IP address

NOTE:  This is a mail server address for GMX's outbound mail system - it's not a users IP address.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 15 of 21
Flag for a moderator

mail.com email blocked by virgin.

Thanks for the help, I ran several antivirus scans on both my laptops and always wise to do so, and  eset antivirus picked up that my avast brower had a potentally unsafe application "variant" of-

win32/ccleaner, called avastbrowseruninstall.exe. which it deleted. I decided to remove the avast browser to be on the safe side but still have ccleaner.

It may explain why I was getting notification for along time  that ccleaner was trying to make changes to the memory. but was blocked by controlled folder access.

However this did not resolve the blocking issue of the mail.com IP address by virgin, so I agree with ravenstar68  that the problem is not my own computer or my own virgin IP address, but that the virgin server is blocking the Ip address 82.165.159.131 which is   mail.com server. (gmx.com isp ionos se)

This is due to a a spam listing of mail.com in spamhause. 

I have tested sending emails to my virgin email from other emails- outlook.com and gmail.com and they arrive no problem in my virgin inbox.

Only mail.com can apply to delist from spamhause.

This means all emails form mail.com are blocked even if they are not spam, so virgin must have a good reason for blocking this IP address which may in the past have been used for abusive purposes/spamming etc so has a bad reputation, but so do most emails, even gmail which has lot of spam but that is not blocked.

I have not had any spam emails from mail.com myself, but have had spoofed emails from mail.com that were not from mail.com including a fake virgin bill recently, the sender address were spoofed  to be  mail.com but the sender IP address were not mail.com, had about 6 like that. By contrast I have had far more spam emails from outlook.com, gmail.com and  hotmail.com.

alf28

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 16 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi @ALF28,

Have you been able to contact mail.com to advise their email server has been blacklisted so they can take steps to get it delisted as suggest by coenoby?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 17 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I only use the mail.com email address as a spare thowaway email address, not my main one so I will just wait for it to be delisted in due course, I am sure they must be aware of the Spamhause listing.

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 18 of 21
Flag for a moderator

spam 

I noticed that I also have had a spam email yesterday to my virgin email from the same  ionos servers  in germany and the uk but with a different ip address.

The ionos servers  have  some  blacklisting when I check the domains on mxtoolbox, and mail.com has two blacklistings at present, uses ionos.se.

This does indicate that there is a spam problem with the ionos server and that may be why some ip addresses get blocked such as mail.com

It was interesting that the spam email did get through from a  valid uk email adddress via ionos.co.uk, but was tagged as spam by virgin, so was sent originally from a german ip address  but arrived from a uk ip address.

alf28

0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 19 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi @ALF28,

I do apologise. Does adjusting your spam settings help at all?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 20 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I do tag spam and deliver to the inbox, so am aware of the spam settings thanks, I do not reject the spam.

Spam can not be stopped, but the tagging  helps to identify spam type emails.

The spam emails are usually from unknown senders, not genuine known senders.

I am happy with the spam settings but sometimes my regular emails occasioanly will be tagged spam.

alf28

0 Kudos