Menu
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

fetching pop3 mail has suddenly stopped working for me.

I did not change anything but I can no longer use fetchmail (on linux) to get my blueyonder email.

Changing it to try name@virginmedia.com doesn't help.

I can login to my blueyonder email account and find new messages there, but they can't be fetched using pop3.

Has a design detail been changed without any warning to users or is there a new bug?

VM wastes hours of my time. Can anyone recommend a better service for email?

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: fetching pop3 mail has suddenly stopped working for me.

Something similar happening here with Windows Mail:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Kenny's Mail account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'pop3.blueyonder.co.uk'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

With so many reports about this it has to be a service outage. 

It was (for me) working yesterday late afternoon/early evening. but sometime after that it has gone bloopywoopy.

Hope they fix it soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Seems to be fixed now (for me at least). Must have been some temporary outage?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

It worked for me for a while this morning -- and I received a whole lot of ancient messages messages left on the VM server as well as a few new ones. But it has stopped working again.

Why doesn't the VM status page (https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status) have an entry for email? Don't they know the status of their email service?

Will I get a refund for (a) loss of service and (b) huge amount of wasted time trying to find out what's going wrong, and reporting it here?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

It seems to be working OK for me and has been all morning. Service status reports e-mail issues under "Broadband faults" and always has done. Nothing showing. No compensation from VM. This is a value added service and as such is provided for use without any responsibility being  taken by VM for its functioning at all times. 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

This is news to me:

"This is a value added service and as such is provided for use without any responsibility being taken by VM for its functioning at all times."

Is this stated somewhere on the VM web site? Is it in our contracts? (When I changed my contract a few months ago the revised contact had an error. I asked to be sent a copy of the corrected new contract, but never received it. Is sending customers copies of their contracts also an added value service without guarantee?)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I give my advice based on my understanding of VM's policies and procedures. Take it up with VM if you don't accept my advice. You can search on line for their Terms and Conditions.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

They used to have a separate email entry IIRC however they merged email faults in with the broadband category a while ago now.

With regards to updated settings.  Virgin Media published updated email settings last March.  While the legacy servers still remain in play at time of writing, I strongly suggest you stop using them and use the correct settings instead.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-email-settings

Also - to people using Live Mail - please stop.  It's been broken for years anyway, although it still can collect mail, if people try to send picture albums (which used integration with what used to be called Skydrive before Microsoft was forced to rebrand to Onedrive) you end up with a broken send.

Microsoft stopped supporting Live Mail last year.  Continuing to use it is at your own risk.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the comments:

"They used to have a separate email entry IIRC however they merged email faults in with the broadband category a while ago now."

Well I saw no sign of faults being reported when I clicked on broadband. I guess they don't want to have a page where they report explicitly on email status because that would require them do regular checks on status by having a collection of test (simulated) mail users (which could be automated of course).

Thanks for this information.

"Virgin Media published updated email settings last March.  While the legacy servers still remain in play at time of writing, I strongly suggest you stop using them and use the correct settings instead.
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-email-settings "

It seems they did not think it worth emailing  blueyonder users telling them about this. I've now altered my fetchmail settings to use "poll pop3.virginmedia.com" instead of "poll pop3.blueyonder.co.uk" and I've been receiving mail since then (including hundreds of previously received messages... because I had not logged in to clear old mail.

(Perhaps there should be a setting for maximum number of months or years old mail is kept, or maximum number of messages?)

Does all this mean that someone at VM suddenly decide to force all the people using old settings to change by screwing up the system for them, without giving them any warning or advice in advance?

Or is something more subtle going on -- like mere incompetence or thoughtlessness? I thought for  while that I must have inadvertently changed things.

Anyhow, thanks for the tip. Let's hope it goes on working now.

Aaron

0 Kudos