cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email throttled/dribbling in

paanibay
Tuning in

I receive email for work purposes which can include 30 or more emails sent at one time. This has recently not been a problem however since the beginning of the month they have stopped coming through in a timely manner. Some are delivered at the time others can be delivered hours/days later.

The sender says everything good their end and I have added a gmail forward address and they are coming through alright. If there anyway of stating the sending address should not be throttled? Who do I speak too?  I have a blueyonder address.

Thanks

22 REPLIES 22

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Put the delayed email header information into an analyser, like Email Header Analyzer, RFC822 Parser - MxToolbox, to see where the delay is; if due to Virgin Media post back here and wait for the forum team to request the relevant supporting information via private message.

BTW should you choose to use MxToolbox's analyser then consider selecting Permanently forget this email header at foot of page when finished.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your help. I have done as you have suggested but I cannot understand the results. I attach a screen shot and wonder if you could tell me what it means. Many thanksHeader Analysis.png

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See Hop 5, the 18 hour delay in handing off the email to Virgin Media.  Consider asking the sender to query with their email provider what is being logged by the server forward2.hostedemail.com (60.99.140.10) to see if that reveals the cause of the delay delayed.

Thanks. The sender asked me to look at the same email sent to gmail account. Does this prove it is a Virgin problem or just something being flagged by Virgin? Thanks for your help.

Header Analysis gmail.png

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@paanibay wrote:

Thanks. The sender asked me to look at the same email sent to gmail account. Does this prove it is a Virgin problem or just something being flagged by Virgin? Thanks for your help.

It is a pity the sender seemed unable to look at their logs for the interaction between the servers to see what the cause may have been, i.e. we tried and this is what the Virgin Media server responded with.

Likely it is going to be something Virgin Media are flagging but there is not enough information to know whether it is in error or valid. The forum team are best placed to investigate the issue further and it has been flagged to them; be aware it may take them a few hours / days to respond.

Many thanks

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@paanibay wrote:

Does this prove it is a Virgin problem or just something being flagged by Virgin?

I think it is worth noting that your screen shot from the MX Header Analyzer does show that:

1) there is an issue with the sender's SPF record (the red cross against "SPF Alignment" in the shaded block towards the top)

2) in the Relay Information section, the "Blacklist" column extreme right shows that the Outgoing servers in steps 1 and 3 are flagged as appearing on a blacklist (blocklist).

Either or both of those factors may well have been sufficient for Virgin Media to have been suspicious about those emails.  VM do seem to be very fastidious about issues like that.

On the other hand my thought is that Gmail is probably less concerned about issues like that but probably relies much more on its spam filters to identify suspicious emails based more on the content of the email. I stress though that's just my personal opinion based on experience with my own Gmail account.

As @用心棒  as said, the Forum Team can take this up and get it investigated.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It’s just that some are getting through instantly and others taking hours/days. You’d think it would be all or nothing, However I have little knowledge. Thanks.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @pannibay,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issues with your email.

Can you please show me the errors that show on the email headers? Send receipts?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide