cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email account showing "connection error"

Buster21
Joining in

Hi

Virgin customer for 11 years.  Recently moved house to an area unfortunately not covered by VM.  So, had to pay up to end account/contract.  Services ended 11 October 2020.  I can still log in to my VM account.  On the opening page of my account it says "you have 90 days from disconnection to upload email files".  That would be up until about 11 January 2021  - would it not.  

However after signing in to account and then attempting to sign in to emails it keeps showing connection error, this service is not available right now. 

Any ideas anyone what the problem might be and how I can overcome this issue - many thanks.  I would simply like to access and save some files.  During the house move period and handing back old property it wasn't a high priority - and VM do say I have 90 days!

Thanks for taking the time to read this message.

Buster

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Buster21 wrote:

However after signing in to account and then attempting to sign in to emails it keeps showing connection error, this service is not available right now. 

The problem is probably caused by nothing more sinister than a corrupt cookie or a problem with the cache in the browser you are using.

Start by trying to sign in to VM Webmail directly from here https://mail.virginmedia.com   using incognito mode or a private browsing window if your browser supports that. The reason is that incognito or private windows open without using the cookies stored on your machine. Alternatively try a different browser.

If one of those options allows you to access your account you can go back and delete the VM cookies and the cache in your original browser and that should solve your problem without the need to use private windows or a different browser.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Buster21 wrote:

The problem is probably caused by nothing more sinister than a corrupt cookie or a problem with the cache in the browser you are using.

Start by trying to sign in to VM Webmail directly from here https://mail.virginmedia.com   using incognito mode or a private browsing window if your browser supports that. The reason is that incognito or private windows open without using the cookies stored on your machine. Alternatively try a different browser.

If one of those options allows you to access your account you can go back and delete the VM cookies and the cache in your original browser and that should solve your problem without the need to use private windows or a different browser.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Thanks. It worked for incognito mode, which is good; however I need a fix for when it's not incognito mode. 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RP5 wrote:

Thanks. It worked for incognito mode, which is good; however I need a fix for when it's not incognito mode. 

You have restarted a five month old thread, which isn't good form.  

The permanent fix is detailed in the final paragraph of post 2.  Clear the browser cache and any cookies relating to Virgin Media mail.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Hi @RP5

Have you you taken the advice given by the fantastic @Graham_A ?  If so, how has things gone?

Regards

Lee_R