cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email account locked for trying to forward newsletter - told 7-10 days for tech team to contact me! Help!

scribbler
Joining in

Hiya, 

Wondering if anyone can help me.

Basically I’m in a Kafkaesque nightmare whereby Virgin decided that an email I was trying to forward was ‘suspicious and spam’ (it was about a Jubilee street party) and locked my account.

Called 150 and I was told it would take 48 hours for a tech person to contact me. Now they've told me it will take between 7-10 days for them to contact me.

I was also told a manager would call me - they haven't. 

I've done nothing wrong! I can't do without email for 7-20 days! 

All I want is for them to go to the bit where it says locked and then UN-LOCK it!

Please can someone advise me what to do next as I'm getting nowhere going through official channels.

Thank you

Abi 
3 REPLIES 3

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

HI Abi, I am sorry to hear about the email issues which you are having and this would have been locked by the internet security team. Can you run a virus scan on the device and change the password to see if it allows access. Please let us know if you are still having issues with this since posting? ^Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for replying.  Re "Can you run a virus scan on the device and change the password to see if it allows access." The Macbook is fine - I use Clam X - and the Virgin tech who I spoke (conversation three on Sat) changed the password and promised it would work in an hour. It didn't. Conversation four I was told to wait 24 hours. I did - it still didn't work, Still got 'unable to verify account name or password'. Conversation five, yesterday was when I was told it would now take 5 days to fix - probably - and that if it wasn't working by then to call them back.

Got up this morning and tried the 'new' password and got 'unable to verify account name or password' again. It's a work account so I'm very down about it.

But I'm also cross - you say 'internet security team'. Who gave them the right to monitor my outgoing mail and decide what I can and cannot forward? 

I ended up forwarding it from a Gmail account - perfectly fine, no issue. That Virgin is censoring my emails is shocking to me. And that they'd decide I was a bad person (despite being a customer for over 20 years) and lock my email account - and then to be met with a mass of confusion (no-one seems to know what's going on) is frankly depressing. Why can't they access the bit on my account that says 'locked' and then click  'unlock' it?

Any help or guidance will be gratefully received. 

Thanks Chris

Hi scribbler, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one and we can only apologise for the issues you've had trying to get it unlocked. Usually a password change to something it's never been before is enough for it to automatically unlock. It sounds as though the team needed to refer this to the IT teams to get manually unlocked but there is a usual 5 day timescale for them to pick up the ticket. 

You can find more information on why we lock the email addresses here. 

Once the IT team have picked up the ticket and unlocked things you shouldn't have any further issues. If you do though, pop back and let us know. 

Apologies once again. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs