Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

e-mail error

Hi

my email delivery has been curtailed with the following server error showing:

Server error: '453 4.1.1 Too Many Recipients (VM502)

I have had very limited out going mail today with only 4-resipients to the one resulting in this error. Could you enlighten me as to what step I can take to address this problem

thanks in advance

Peter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: e-mail error

@PM1306 wrote:

I have had very limited out going mail today with only 4-resipients to the one resulting in this error. Could you enlighten me as to what step I can take to address this problem

Based on what has previously been reported, the VM502 error code indicates you have exceeded VMs daily limit for the number of recipients you can email in a day. Note that is recipients not emails, so 1 email with 25 cc's counts as 26, including the main recipient.)

These limits are not published and vary depending on geographic area you are sending from,

The one email that tripped the error may have only had 4 recipients but it would seem that together with the other emails you had already sent it was enough to break the daily recipient limit.

The only options are to wait until the block has cleared or you could switch to using VM's Webmail service which I understand has higher limits. Certainly if you are currently overseas using Webmail will be a much better option than your regular email client. You can sign in to Webmaill from here https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks you for the concise reply which summarises the issue perfectly and is greatly appreciated. I had an inkling that this was the problem but as I had e-mailed probably less than 20-recipients and certainly fewer than 30 I find it incredulous that that number surpasses any sensible limit. Surely there has to be a way for VM to increase these Draconian limits especially now that so many have been forced to work from home.

Being forced into using VM website rather than a paltform such as Outlook is far from an ideal solution.

Best

Peter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@PM1306 wrote:

I had e-mailed probably less than 20-recipients and certainly fewer than 30

Surely there has to be a way for VM to increase these Draconian limits especially now that so many have been forced to work from home.

Being forced into using VM website rather than a paltform such as Outlook is far from an ideal solution.

The point is that VM impose those limits to prevent their email servers  being used to send spam. The email account provided as part of VM's home broadband package is intended for personal use and they obviously set the limits accordingly.  If you are overseas and especially in a country such as the USA, which is a hot bed of spam activity, the limits can be quite low and can easily be breached with normal personal email activity.

However, I am assuming that when this happened you were at home and using Outlook on your own VM network in which case the limits are a lot higher. The VM502 and VM501 (limit per hour) errors do not often get mentioned on this forum. When they do it is usually because the VM customer is using their email from overseas.

Regarding your point about homeworking. These limits only apply to VM's own email accounts. (@virginmedia.com, @ntlworld.com, @blueyonder.co.uk and @virgin.net.) If you are using your work's email account or an email account from another provider such as Gmail, Outlook.com from home then the VM restrictions do not apply.

If I was in your position I would start to think about whether my email account had been hacked and someone else was sending out spam using my email address and password. Those emails would not appear in your sent folder in Outlook or in the Webmail account so you would be none the wiser.

Have you seen any tell tale signs such as strange non delivery messages?

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Apologies for my tardiness in responding. I work form home,  and have used email before the days of Broadband and ever since and currently have HomeWorks. I regularly email the same 20-30 people and often on mutliple occasions during the course of a day. As I intimate I've been doing this for something like 20-years with no problems. As a fact I have recently retired (well semi-retired) and my email traffic will have reduced greatly from its peak (no more than 20% of what it once was) yet all of a sudden I am told I exceed VM limits.

I had considered whether my email address could have been compromised but I have strong protection and don't see that as being likely - certainly the address I use for work purposes receives zero spam however, my old (very old) NTL world address does receive a limited amount of spam, it is impossible to escape.

I am unsure what has kicked this procedure in but would have thought VM would have the means to determine if a) I am abusing my email and their server. b) my email address is compromised and should be deleted. If neither then surely the limits should be increased to allow me to work unhindered.

Again thanks for your time it is appreciated.

0 Kudos
Super solver
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@PM1306 wrote:

Apologies for my tardiness in responding.

No problem.

I had considered whether my email address could have been compromised but I have strong protection and don't see that as being likely -

VM's email accounts do not have strong protection. They are only secured by a password with a maximum of 10 letters or numbers (special characters are not allowed) and it seems to be very easy for scammers to hack into VM Webmail accounts without the customer knowing.

Strangely enough, far more people post on this forum that their email accounts have been hacked than those who complain abut the maximum recipient limits.

Hopefully one of the Forum Team (VM employees) will pick up on this thread and give you the official line on this issue.

Coenoby

0 Kudos