cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

access to virgin.net email account blocked or orphaned

davidm22
Joining in

Dear Community,

I am appealing/pleading for help with an @virgin.net email account.

Login access has been blocked to my @virgin.net account, however it is still alive and I can still login to the two sub-accounts. My wife and I have been using these accounts for many, many years and happy to be a small part of the Virgin empire. As good practice, I occasionally change the passwords. I changed the password on all 3 accounts in 2020 with no problem. I changed the password on the primary account recently, received the confirmation email and then could no longer login. One phone agent suggested the password change triggered this ‘old’ account to de-activate. Now I don’t dare make any changes to the two sub-accounts which still allow login and still send/receive emails.

I have called the Virgin Media help desk several times. The common theme is that my account is in-active and orphaned and blocked but if I had an active paid Virgin Media subscription they could fix my login access.

I understand nothing is free, at least not free forever, so I should have seen this coming although I expected there would be a notice or warning. I am willing to pay however Virgin Media services are not available at my current address (they were at my previous address). On two different phone calls to Virgin Media Support I explained this location restriction and they said if I took a Virgin Mobile account they could then fix my email account. I called Virgin Mobile Support and they also confirmed this. So I took out a Virgin Mobile subscription and setup my new online account. I called back Virgin Mobile and now they say they cannot fix my email. I called Virgin Media and now they say a Virgin Mobile account is not sufficient to fix my email account. When I refer to the previous calls that led me down this path they just say I was given wrong information. D’oh, now I am stuck making monthly payments to Virgin Mobile…which is part of Virgin Media so it still seems logical and computationally possible that this should have been sufficient.

Searching for help I came across this Community. After reading related posts it seems Virgin Media wants to remove all @virgin.net email accounts. Ouch, but ok, although I wish we would have been notified and I wish the telephone help desk could be more helpful (they’ve all been nice and polite, but it seems their hands are tied). Equally, I’ve been patient and polite but am getting contradicting information and going around in circles. I hope someone in this Community can help.

I have started converting my family/friends/business dealings to stop using the @virgin.net address.

I am kindly asking to have access to the email account for a few days so I can extract the information I need to make a clean and full transition. I would then call back and say delete all three accounts, free up the disk space and save the electricity. Happy customer + happy company = win, win.

Please, please, please will someone help to restore access to this account for me and my wife?

Thank you,

David

2 REPLIES 2

jem101
Superstar

@davidm22 wrote:

Dear Community,

I am appealing/pleading for help with an @virgin.net email account.

Login access has been blocked to my @virgin.net account, however it is still alive and I can still login to the two sub-accounts. My wife and I have been using these accounts for many, many years and happy to be a small part of the Virgin empire. As good practice, I occasionally change the passwords. I changed the password on all 3 accounts in 2020 with no problem. I changed the password on the primary account recently, received the confirmation email and then could no longer login. One phone agent suggested the password change triggered this ‘old’ account to de-activate. Now I don’t dare make any changes to the two sub-accounts which still allow login and still send/receive emails.

I have called the Virgin Media help desk several times. The common theme is that my account is in-active and orphaned and blocked but if I had an active paid Virgin Media subscription they could fix my login access.

I understand nothing is free, at least not free forever, so I should have seen this coming although I expected there would be a notice or warning. I am willing to pay however Virgin Media services are not available at my current address (they were at my previous address). On two different phone calls to Virgin Media Support I explained this location restriction and they said if I took a Virgin Mobile account they could then fix my email account. I called Virgin Mobile Support and they also confirmed this. So I took out a Virgin Mobile subscription and setup my new online account. I called back Virgin Mobile and now they say they cannot fix my email. I called Virgin Media and now they say a Virgin Mobile account is not sufficient to fix my email account. When I refer to the previous calls that led me down this path they just say I was given wrong information. D’oh, now I am stuck making monthly payments to Virgin Mobile…which is part of Virgin Media so it still seems logical and computationally possible that this should have been sufficient.

Searching for help I came across this Community. After reading related posts it seems Virgin Media wants to remove all @virgin.net email accounts. Ouch, but ok, although I wish we would have been notified and I wish the telephone help desk could be more helpful (they’ve all been nice and polite, but it seems their hands are tied). Equally, I’ve been patient and polite but am getting contradicting information and going around in circles. I hope someone in this Community can help.

I have started converting my family/friends/business dealings to stop using the @virgin.net address.

I am kindly asking to have access to the email account for a few days so I can extract the information I need to make a clean and full transition. I would then call back and say delete all three accounts, free up the disk space and save the electricity. Happy customer + happy company = win, win.

Please, please, please will someone help to restore access to this account for me and my wife?

Thank you,

David

Unfortunately, it has always, always been the case that to continue using any of the VM branded email addresses, it has been a requirement that you have a current VM broadband account, a mobile account has never worked for this. I am sorry to hear that you were lied to misinformed about this, possibly a deliberate case of mis-selling, or, more likely a consequence of VM's somewhat cavalier attitude to proper training of their offshore outsourced support staff -who can say?

The reality though is that that you not being a VM broadband customer, you have, as per the T's and C's no right to use any of their email provisions, you addresses will have been flagged as being orphaned and as such are liable to being swept up in a periodic cleanup of accounts and summarily deleted. It is very likely that the sub accounts will follow suit in short order and also be deleted.

My advice would be to start setting up a new non-ISP related email address (Gmail or Outlook etc.) and start the process of migrating all of your contacts across whilst you still have access to the old sub-accounts. I fear that the main virgin.net account is now gone for good and isn't coming back.

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @davidm22,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums, we're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear you're experiencing some issues with your email accounts at the moment. If you don't have an active broadband service linked to an email address then I'm afraid that it would be deactivated and permanently deleted following disconnection. Normally this happens automatically within 90 days of disconnection of your broadband services, but sometimes it can take longer to be detected.

I'm afraid it's incorrect that by having a Virgin Mobile account that this would help keep the email address active. It has to be an active broadband account.

From what you've explained, it sounds like the email account/service may already be cancelled and deleted, and when that's happened it's not possible to recover the account or its contents. However, what I will do in a few moments is send you a private message so we can investigate further, and I'll do what I can to help you.

Please respond to the message when you can and we'll go from there with this.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!