Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 21 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Re: Windows 10 Is Saying It Cannot Access My Virgin Account So Not Syncing

@IanS wrote:

Found under settings

IPv4 address which is a sequence with /24 on the end. If I put that number (minus 24) into the Spamhaus List search it isn't listed under SBL PBL XBL. If I am using correct number then I am not on that blocked list. 

Windows will only tell you your internal 'LAN' IP address which isn't directly seen by the outside world, what you actually need is your external WAN or public IP address, To get that, open up any web browser and in the address bar at the top enter;

whatismyip.com   

and hit return

The webpage which comes up will list your WAN IP address towards the top  'My Public IPv4 is : a.b.c.d' It's that address which you need to put into the Spamhaus search bar.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 22 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Yes, that's confirmed it as being listed under SBL CSS.

So basically prevented from using Windows 10 Mail unless I can find a better option than Which. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 23 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Hey IanS,

Sorry to hear of the issues with sending emails.

So, as it seems that your IP address has been blacklisted, It's likely that you have a virus / malware infected devices in the home which is sending out spam. 

Can you please confirm what wireless devices you have in the home, such as Amazon Firesticks, Tablets ect? 

I'd recommend running the virus scanners in the links provided if you haven't already. If the scanner doesn't detect any malicious content on the device you're currently using to run Windows10  mail, then I'd recommend factory resetting your other wireless devices in attempt to get rid of the infection.

Just want to clarify that the scanner won't pick up every single virus / malware that could possibly be on your device, as certain malware can be hidden.

I'd try to avoid factory resetting your PC unless you absolutely have to, as I'm sure you'll have personal files and data on there that you wouldn't want to lose.

Let me know one you've scanned for viruses and if you find anything,

Regards,

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 24 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Slightly off topic, but IMO related.  I'm a bit annoyed here, so I'll provide you with a bit of food for thought:  Having skimmed this thread, I hope superusers and VIP's now have at least some understanding of what it is to be a new user.  They should also remember that they were new users too, once upon a time... As Albert Einstein once said, "If you can't explain it to a child...".  With this in mind, if you're a superuser, VIP or a Mod (and you have kids or family that aren't into computers) see if you can explain the following to them:

• What's a window?
  • What's a run box?
  • What's a task bar?
  • Why doesn't Windows Update work?😛
  • What does TCP/IP mean?

As I've said before, computing has changed a lot over the last 41 years (of dabbling with the these things).  Back then black and white/green/amber screens were sorcery.  It's more complicated now than ever.  With seemingly infinite settings (and no manuals; which is why we're here; it is, after all, a help forum), it's confusing even for those more experienced… 

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 25 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Not quite true. You are prevented from using any e-mail program on your windows 10 machine, like Outlook or Thunderbird or the windows 10 e-mail app because your machine is infected with a spambot which is polluting the internet and sending spam, probably world-wide. For as long as your machine or other devices connected to it are doing this it will be the case the VM will refuse to send your mail from any of those programs. 

As with all things like this it is your sole responsibility to get your machine (if it is the culprit) and other devices (if they are implicated) cleaned up. It is not VM's responsibility to do this.

You have been given guidance on the only sure-fire way to do this (using Wireshark).  It is complex but many other novices have done it successfully. However you may want to look at and read and follow the guidance in this sticky post about how VM think you might tackle this. It is relatively naive ( faith in virus and malware scans is misplaced, because these things can and do hide from the scanning software) but it does have suggestions that might help:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/What-to-do-if-your-IP-address-is-blacklisted/td-p/4122659

You are still able to send e-mail via VM, but you will have to use VM's web mail system to do this. VM don't apply the block to mail sent this way. Have a look at this section of the helpfiles portfolio on how to do this.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/email-and-apps/email

But to get you started you need to log in to VM web mail in your web browser at mail2.virginmedia.com or use the e-mail link at the very top of any VM web page.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 26 of 51
Flag for a moderator

@IanS I appreciate that something like this can be daunting but if you take it in small chunks then it can be easier.

So I'm going to break this down into small sections..

For this to work you need a Windows 10 PC with a wireless adapter.  If there is no wireless adapter then there is a much longer drawn out process we can try.

What I effectively do is the following:

1. Use the Wireless Hotspot feature built in to Windows 10 to turn your PC into a second router.
  2. Connect your wireless devices to the wireless hotspot. (up to 8 at a time)
  3. Monitor the traffic going through the hotspot with wireshark to look for the offending traffic

I assume you are already capable of connecting devices to a wireless router - if so then you know how to do 2.

Part 1 is not as hard as you think provided you have a wifi card.  I've tried to produce a method that will need little to no outlay on the part of users.

Tim

@MrHalfAsleep You make some good points.  It might be worth starting a thread in Community Natter to take that forward.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 51
Flag for a moderator

The only devices I have are the desktop computer in one room and firestick (had this just over a month) connected to a television in another room. I have no mobile devices. 

I run both Malwarebytes (free) and ESET (paid) on a regular basis and they have shown up nothing. I wouldn't have a clue how you scan the firestick.

Both the computer and firestick were set up for me. I don't know what a wireless adaptor is. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 28 of 51
Flag for a moderator

@IanS wrote:

I have only fairly recently bought a firestick and then signed up to a VPN. Would that have had an affect regarding the IP address? Not even sure where the IP is located on Windows 10. 

Firesticks have been known to be a source of spambots, check out message 18 here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-stopped-sending-from-Outlook/m-p/4150268#M186215

What VPN did you sign up to?  The free version of Hola is known to be an issue.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 29 of 51
Flag for a moderator

You can Factory Reset your Firestick https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-reset-fire-stick-4176100
That should clear out any malware from it.

Following stages 1 and 2 of ravenstar68's guide on Searching for Spambots will allow you to check your Windows 10 system for nefarious activity on port 25. One that's been done, then follow Stage 3 to check other devices (Firestick) on your network.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 30 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Who set everything up for you?  Can you perhaps ask them for help?  They might even have a spare USB wifi adapter that they can bring round to do the job.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos