cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin.net email

BillAlston
Tuning in

I have an old virgin.net account that appears to have been hacked. I can pick up emails on this account but I don’t know where or how to log into it to change the password and delete the account. I’m not the account holder on our virginmedia broadband account. My other virginmedia email accounts seem fine.

15 REPLIES 15

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You'll have to get the account holder to phone in and request this. VM won't speak to anyone else.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin.net accounts have been obsolete for quite some time. VM were due to close them down 12 months after the Virgin net ISP was  migrated to TalkTalk. You are lucky it is still working as most of these have already been disconnected.

http://holmpc.co.uk/virgin-net-email-address-closure/ 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for that. I’ll get them to give them a call.

It does seem strange though that I can log into my virginmedia email and change that password.

We phoned virginmedia and he couldn’t see it on our account. It no longer exists - except I’m still getting emails on it!

do I need to get in touch with Talk Talk? I’m not a customer with them so can’t see they’d help

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Talk Talk have nothing to do with virgin.net email addresses.    The information in the link posted earlier is incorrect.

They remain under the control of Virginmedia, however, VM Forum Team staff have previously stated that they are no longer able to be moved to a current broadband account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

When the VM National service was closed down in late 2014/early 2015, VM customers had the option of transferring their broadband services to Talk Talk or to another ISP.

If they moved to Talk Talk their legacy email account remained available for 12 months, if they moved to another ISP the email account would be available for 30 days. After these periods the email accounts should have been closed.

There was also the choice of moving to the VM cable service (if available) where it was possible for a "move and transfer" to associate the email accounts to the new cable account. This would retain access to the legacy virgin.net email addresses, in perpetuity, on the new virginmedia.com account.

Whatever option was chosen, at all times Virgin Media retain control of the administration of the virgin.net email service. Talk Talk do not, and never have had anything to do with it.

If neither you nor Virgin Media can see your legacy virgin.net email address on your account then it's likely been classed as "an orphaned account" https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073 and should have been closed after 12 months, or 30 days, depending on the circumstances.

As noted earlier, the account holder themselves will have to contact Virgin Media about this issue.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi BillAlston,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community!

So sorry for any issues caused regarding the mail.

Unfortunately we would require the account holder to contact us to run the necessary investigation needed, if it's possible please direct the account holder to here or our other contact options and we'll be able to assist further

Apologies,

Kain

Given the time taken to get through on the phone and the agent being unable to even see my old account she is somewhat reluctant to phone again. If it could be done online - it can’t, then I have access to all the relevant information required so could do it myself. The agent was also unable to assist doing it online as the options needed simply weren’t available on the VM website!