cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin net email address

Emma_Lewis
Joining in

Having looked at the community board discussions, I realise there is a history of people asking about virgin.net emails addresses disappearing, and I'm late to the party, but my elderly parents have just lost their emails and weren't aware this was going to happen. It's possible notices were sent to them - but not being the most tech savvy people - this will likely have passed them by.

My mum does a lot of volunteer work, which she manages via the emails she now seems to have lost - and will not have any back ups of anything. Can anyone please help her (or help me help her..) recover her contacts and emails?

In desperation.

3 REPLIES 3

jem101
Superstar

@Emma_Lewis the first question, in fact the only important question, is this, ‘are your parents current VM broadband customers?’

Now if the answer is no, then there is a very good chance that the email address, mailbox and all the email within it has been, or is in the process of being deleted. There is a great deal of historical baggage, and quite a bit of misunderstanding attached to the old Virgin.net addresses, but they date back to the dial-up internet days. When VM decided to terminate this service along with the old ADSL internet connection, then users were given the option to take out a VM broadband subscription and keep the addresses otherwise they were given a one year (I think) grace period to make alternative arrangements after which the mailbox would be deleted.

Now this dates back to 2015/2016 and unfortunately VM didn’t always keep to their own timetable and deadlines and sometimes these mailboxes were left working in a sort of zombie state but are prone to being caught up in a periodic cleanup and deleted without further notice at any point. VM will ‘claim’, not without some justification, that users were informed back in the last decade and it isn’t their fault if people ignored it.

What I will do is escalate this to the forum team who will offer to get in touch and see what can be done. If the above scenario applies to your parents, then I am afraid that the outlook isn’t too good. Otherwise if they are VM broadband customers then it should be a case of attaching the email address to their broadband account.

John

Hi John

Thanks for responding- unfortunately they're not with Virgin  for any service - and access their email via web browser - so think I shall be spending some time seeing them up a new email address and  trying to help my mum contact people by phone to get email addresses again!

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Emma_Lewis,

Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to our Forums.

I'm really sorry to hear your parents are having trouble with their virgin.net email. As @jem101 mentioned, there are some instances where this could potentially be no longer retrievable. However, I'm going to pop you a PM to gather some more information so I can look into this for you and see what I can do to get things sorted.

Please look out for my PM in the top-right of our forums in the purple envelope.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ