cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin email up the creek

sdu60
On our wavelength

I have had continuous problems with virgin email over the last 3 months.
Listing:

1. Password not accepted but later found ok and accepted
2. Incoming mail sometimes delivered to archive, sometimes to draft, sometimes to spam.
3. Outgoing/sent mail sometimes appearing in deleted items folder or disappearing altogether.

I  have no rules set up that would explain this behaviour.
Mostly things work ok but who would recommend an email host who is so unreliable? I would like to change but its a real pain having to notify all contacts of a change in email address.
This forum is useful because it allows virgin clients to suggest or solve virgin problems and failings for them..

6 REPLIES 6

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sdu60 wrote:

1. Password not accepted but later found ok and accepted

It would be helpful to see what, if any, error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. From a desktop or laptop device open a Command Shell in Window or otherwise a Terminal. and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes and then post just that here or the VM error code; ignoring this advice and posting the output here unredacted or incorrectly redacted may reveal your email address, password and / or public IP Address.

2. Incoming mail sometimes delivered to archive, sometimes to draft, sometimes to spam.

With no filter rules being defined in webmail look at other email clients used with the account for possible explanations.

3. Outgoing/sent mail sometimes appearing in deleted items folder or disappearing altogether.

Again, look at other email clients used with the account for possible explanations.

If the issue still remains unexplained then  consider following the advice here, My Virgin media email has been hacked | Virgin Media Help

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sdu60 wrote:

who would recommend an email host who is so unreliable?

The thing is there is little point recommending VM as an email host because they stopped issuing new VM email accounts last year.

Since May 2022 new VM broadband customers have to use a third party (non VM) email account and existing VM broadband customers can no longer create new additional VM email accounts.

VM do still support existing VM email accounts that are linked to a live VM broadband account but the longer term future of the VM email service is unclear. I think it is reasonable to conclude that the provision of an email service is not high on VM's list of priorities going forward.

So taking all that into account perhaps now would be a good time for you to consider switching to another email service.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi sdu60,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you're having some issues with your emails. 

Have you been able to take a look at what 用心棒 has advised?

Alex_Rm

sdu60
On our wavelength

No: I dont understand the response its technical gobbly **bleep** to me.

I am inclinrd to follow the other respondent who said that since virgin are closing their email look for a new supplier.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@sdu60 wrote:

No: I dont understand the response its technical gobbly **bleep** to me.

I am inclinrd to follow the other respondent who said that since virgin are closing their email look for a new supplier.

The response from @用心棒 may help diagnose your technical issue and fix your VM email in the short term.

The response from @coenoby is the longer term fix by getting rid of VM email altogether (and well worth doing IMO).

If the first offer of help is a no-go, you should start the process of notifying all of your contacts of your change of email address as soon as possible because completing a switchover of email providers can be a time-consuming and lengthy process.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @sdu60

Thanks for your response

I'd love to help further if you could follow the instructions step by step? We'll be more than happy to help where possible

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs