Menu
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 41 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Re: VIRGIN MEDIA - AN IRRESPONSIBLE ORGANISATION - ALLOWS SPAM IN BUT NOT OUT

latest versions of my regex filters that I am using-updated today

condition "from"     regex-  (updated)-

ebill|mamba|tulip|Dyson|@hargrey.com|Canada|umberd|Norton|norton|Funeral|funeral|TSB|tsb|notice|Notice|Last|Auto|Renewal|licence|Subscription|Reminder|expired|Macafee|MacAfee|Balance|Payment

condition "subject"     regex-   (updated)-

Ray Ban|McAfee|Norton|norton|Funeral|funeral|TSB|tsb| Bit_coin|notice|Notice|Last|Auto|Renewal|licence|Subscription|Reminder|expired|Antivirus|BTC

condition "to"     regex-   (new filter)-

ziggo|undisclosed

---------------------------------------------

using these in one of my filters, 3 conditions-from,subject and to.

I also use separate filters for unusual spam and include some header filtering but still looking at how headers can identify spam.

These are to catch some of the annoying spam emails such as antivirus and bitcoin etc.

had a fake virgin support email today  ebill@gmail.com with attachment, sent to virgin phishing (virgin tagged it spam)

some of the fake antivirus emails are now been tagged as spam <spam> by virgin at last.

0 Kudos
VPoorEmail
Dialled in
Message 42 of 60
Flag for a moderator

OH, DEAR!  I fell for the Virgin April Fool's trick.

I created a rule containing 'Discard' and other actions.

I read about it last week, but I lapsed while I was testing.

And, of course, if you use 'Discard' with any other action, it lets it straight through (at least it did on my simple test).

If it was anybody but Virgin I'd tell them, but Virgin won't be interested.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 43 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Are you able to post an example of a failing discard rule here?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 44 of 60
Flag for a moderator

@VPoorEmail wrote:

if you use 'Discard' with any other action, it lets it straight through (at least it did on my simple test).

All I can say is that in my simple test it worked fine. 😮

Here is my simple test with 2 actions, 'Discard' and 'Reject with reason'

Test rule.png

I sent an email from my personal email address with 'test rule' as the subject to my Ntlworld address and cc'd to another of my email addresses .

1) My cc'd address received the email fine.

2) As expected the email address I sent it from soon received this from "Mail Delivery Subsystem <postmaster@ntlworld.com>":

Test rule 2.png

3) An hour later and there is no sign of the 'test rule' message in my Ntlworld account so the discard action worked as well.

As VIP 用心 says  we really need to see the rule you are using to see why it did not work.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 45 of 60
Flag for a moderator

I have used the discard rule myself in the past, and it seemed to reduce the spam.

I have not tested the rule, would have to do it from another email and set the from condition and actions to discard as you have appeared to prove it is discarding.

If other actions are selected along with discard, I presume it would complete all actions in sequence selected, proved by the reject with reason test that worked.

I would think it best to use discard as a single action not coupled with other actions, but I prefer not to use discard in case a genuine email is discarded so I simply file to  named folder(s) all emails I consider to be spam.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

regex filtering updates

condition from     not regex-  (special one I use to block unusual sender addresses)-

.co.uk|.com|.org

("from"- not regex filter -works fine blocked .fr today but make sure it contains all the sender countries or email extension you do accept. Be careful if discard is used as some wanted   emails could be discarded by this filter, I file to a named folder rather than discard, allowing inspection filtered emails)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

condition "from"     regex-  (updated)-

MBNA|Amazon|haob|CBD|Tesco|Russian|ebill|mamba|tulip|Dyson|@hargrey.com|Canada|umberd|Norton|norton|Funeral|funeral|TSB|tsb|notice|Notice|Last|Auto|Renewal|licence|Subscription|Reminder|expired|Macafee|MacAfee|Balance|Payment

("from"- regex filter-note in some cases if you may want Tesco or Amazon  etc. then delete them out of the string. Be careful if discard is used as some wanted   emails could be discarded by this filter, I file to a named folder rather than discard, allowing inspection filtered emails)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

condition "subject"     regex-   (updated)-

MBNA|Russian|<SPAM>|Free|free|FREE|WIN|win|selected|Ray Ban|McAfee|Norton|norton|Funeral|funeral|TSB|tsb| Bit_coin|notice|Notice|Last|Auto|Renewal|licence|Subscription|Reminder|expired|Antivirus|BTC

("subject" -regex filter -note in some cases if you may want Norton or TSB  etc. then delete them out of the string. Note I have added <spam> in subject to catch tagged spam but be careful if discard is used as wrongly tagged emails could be discarded, I file to a named folder)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

condition "to"     regex-   (new filter)-

ziggo|undisclosed

(no change to this  "to" -regex filter. Be careful if discard is used as some wanted   emails could be discarded by this filter, I file to a named folder rather than discard, allowing inspection filtered emails)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These regex filters are "examples only" that I use for myself and may not apply to other members.

However they do work and I use them in conjunction with the boothy99 regex filter which also blocks spam using the sender addresses, which can of course change but does get block repeating spam sender addresses.

Spam can never be totally stopped but filtering helps but need constant updating, even paid software is often just whitelisting/blacklisting and the spam filters require training.

interesting posts from virgin see-

Re: Norton and Mcafee - Page 2 - Virgin Media Community - 4484035

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 46 of 60
Flag for a moderator

upper case, lower case, etc

anyone know if the filters are case sensitive  or not, some of my results seem to indicate that filters do not discriminate??

alf28

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 47 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Regex filters are not case specific, not sure about others.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 48 of 60
Flag for a moderator

AFAICS all test conditions are case insensitive

ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 49 of 60
Flag for a moderator

that makes filtering easier if they can all be in the lower case version, so even if spammer uses word variations, all will be picked up I presume.

eg

NORTON

norton

Norton

BITCOIN

BitCoin

Bitcoin

thing that may cause issues are spaces and special characters

Bit Coin or Bit_Coin,  so could filter just with coin or bit using just part.

I will check this out to confirm that  AFAICS all test conditions are case insensitive, may take a while.

I previously assumed the text had to be exact and case sensitive and was using several variations of upper and lower case to match the spam email wording.

alf28

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 50 of 60
Flag for a moderator

@ALF28 wrote:

I will check this out to confirm that  AFAICS all test conditions are case insensitive, may take a while.

You can confirm it within a single rule where all condition must be met, for example:

2020-12-24.jpeg
Send yourself a message with a subject of lorem ipsum and if the received message's flag is set to the colour green you would have confirmed conditions are case insensitive; there seems little benefit to testing the inverse conditions of those listed in the image.