Menu
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 31 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Re: VIRGIN MEDIA - AN IRRESPONSIBLE ORGANISATION - ALLOWS SPAM IN BUT NOT OUT

@VPoorEmail, did you check the subject text of those emails delivered to your Inbox to confirm they did not contain non-Latin lookalike characters, for example bitcоin where the о is Cyrillic small letter o?

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 32 of 60
Flag for a moderator

@用心棒 

It doesn't even need latin or cyrillic letters - as it stands the regex expression picks up b1tc0in but fails to pick up bitco1n  I've tested this on a third party site:

https://www.regextester.com/

However this goes to show that @VPoorEmail needs to be careful about interpreting the results of his testing.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 33 of 60
Flag for a moderator

I should have been clearer in my previous post, the issue I was highlighting is where it appears the rule should matc the subject text and discarded the email but did not, i.e. even though bitcoin and bitcоin look the same they are not; use browser's find function to confirm difference.

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 34 of 60
Flag for a moderator

had to log in 3 times- kept un-logging me till I accepted cookies today

I have found these postings on spam very  useful

I am trialling the  vpooremail bitcoin regex string thanks and will monitor for any updates to it.

As virgin advice on filtering is limited, advice from members is useful, I also use the boothy99 regex filters which work well and I think the regex filtering is the answer to controlling/detecting spam.

see    Re: spam - Page 2 - Virgin Media Community - 4508871

-------------------------------------------------------------

Today I have "Automated" my spam filtering such that I can just forget about spam now, with a clean inbox.

the virgin email filtering system is good and can be used to control all spam if set up correctly.

I whitelist all my known contacts to inbox.

I then filter "known spam" using regex and standard filters, containing , not containing etc, (not ticking subsequent)

I direct "detected filtered  spam" to several folders depending on category  but any "unknown new spam" not filtered is picked up by a final filter "from  @" which is the last filter and picks up the remaining emails.

I then add any new spam emails to the filtering using appropriate filters, from, subject, etc but that can be done easily if regex is used, just update the string.

I also  in filter "actions" send all unknown emails to the "spam folder" so virgin are aware and have an extra folder I call "all spam" so I can still inspect all the spam rather than risk loosing a genuine  email in the spam folder after 30 days.

my inbox remains clean and only known emails go to my inbox, I class all other emails as spam anyway but can check to make sure no genuine emails have slipped through, giving some peace of mind, I agree it has become a challenge for me to control the spam but worthwhile.

spammers are increasingly clever and use software to generate emails that get past spam filters, and many variations of spam to trick people to click on to spam ending up with malware or hacked or fake websites etc, so wise to be aware.

everyone has their own solution which suits them.

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 35 of 60
Flag for a moderator

I have been using my own simple regex filters for a while so will share them, they can easily be updated.

condition from     regex-

Norton|norton|Funeral|funeral|TSB|tsb|Notice|Last|Auto|Renewal|licence|Subscription|Reminder|expired|Macafee|Balance|Payment

condition subject     regex-

Norton|norton|Funeral|funeral|TSB|tsb| Bit_coin|notice|Notice|Last|Auto|Renewal|licence|Subscription|Reminder|expired|Antivirus|BTC

condition from     not regex-  (special one I use to block unusual sender addresses)-

.co.uk|.com|.org

condition from    regex-   (by boothy99)-

dpdukdomain.co.uk|81.cn|audise.com|@tsongbrio|bwhhealth|@adhamdannaway|@allwording|@kuslarinselami|@giantlottos|snd.115promo|@haob.eupedesker|@ubi.com|@naturetoday.com|@e.ea.com|@tmstor.es|@bbox.fr|news.tulipsmail.eu|umberd.com|tvlicensing.co.uk.g|hargray.com|dealbistro.co.uk|hkjhkhj@|webmail.bell.ca|basogho.onthewifi|@giorgioss.com|@mail.com|bropuld.com|@viewdns|@razzball|@energysystem|@mthai.com|@zulu|@mightynetworks.com|@welshrugby.wales|@info.dealmates|@em.cowshed.com|@email.startribune.com|@moma.org|from@amazonaws.com|@openface.ca|@therdancer|from@telegram.org|onlineapplylearn|chatbot4u|cartimex|extremegb|@NextEmail.co.uk|@e1.llbean.com|@leveltimeshort|@individualdedicated|headlines@trib|latimes|CustomerService@Munchies|admin@turnoutpac|TUT.com|goodhousekeeping@|TermLifeAlert@|CryptoLibra|learning@ionbeamservices.co.uk|TestersKeepers|@trib|FlexibleDigitalSolutions|@uaonlineshop.com|microsoftstore@micserv|itcoin|from@privateserverspoint|@info.deal-mates|@tactical-timepieces

-----------------------------------------

have not used regex a lot, most of my many  filters are individual filters for conditions- from,to, subject, headers, body etc. and have details  them here.

I am managing to filter most current spam and also using the recent regex string suggested by vpoormail  for body,subject and from.

once set up the regex or non regex string can be set up and can include filters to block to- "undisclosed" recipients which are  usually spam

using keywords can be an easy way to set up filters, picking a key word used in repeated spam emails.

I also get spam from several address every month with a changing sender address but use part of the address that remains fixed as a keyword to filter the from condition.

alf28

0 Kudos
VPoorEmail
Dialled in
Message 36 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, Alf. A quick reply - I'm finding more problems with my regex string, but have found this site which helps enormously. I'll look at your post in detail in a few hours.
Site is as follows. Hope it doesn't get redacted.
https://projects.verou.me/regexplained/
Description to go with it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkluES9Rvak&ab_channel=CoreySchafer

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 37 of 60
Flag for a moderator

I Had a look at the Youtube site podcast , reminds me of programming language, a bit complicated.

I Have done html code and Fortran years ago but too rusty now.

What I have done now, is for each separate regex filter I have set up a destination folder in the action so I can monitor what each regex filter detects.

Where there is multiple conditions such as body, subject, from then you must tick the box  "apply rule if any condition is met"

Regex filters can only be tested when the spam emails arrive to the inbox, so patience is needed over a prolonged period to check if the regex is working.

So I have 2 separate filters for my self  and a filter boothy99 and  vpooremail   (bitcoin).

Will be interesting to see if my own and others's filters do work efficiently, and they are easily monitored if a named folder is used to file the filtered spam

I would not advise people to use regex filters with discard in case it goes wrong, use a folder for the filtered spam- safer.

Regex filter may need adjusting or adding to from time  to time to keep up to date, or new regex filters added.

People  can construct filters to match their own requirements, could be risky using filters copied from others unless they are beneficial to you and understood. I am willing to try any filter to see if it works over time, not many examples exist in the virgin community web site.

0 Kudos
VPoorEmail
Dialled in
Message 38 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again Alf,
A few points:
1. I'm getting more into regex and finding more problems with my published solution to Bitcoin. I am doing more testing of false positives such as bitumen, abbatoir and bitter. I find https://projects.verou.me/regexplained/ really good for fast testing. I'll publish my Bitcoin solution again when I'm happy with it. I don't wait for new spam to arrive. I keep all old spam and then resend it to myself. It amazing what Virgin's servers find in the body when it's outbound but don't find it when it's inbound.
2. We have come to the same conclusion that having a one-to-one relationship between the filter and the target folder is good for control. So I now have folders labelled, spam1, spam 2, spam3 etc, and filters called Bitcoin1, Bitcoin2, Bitcoin3, Macafee 4, Norton5 etc
3. As hinted at above, I am coming to the conclusion that more than one filter is needed for some situations. An example of this is that one will catch Bitcoin, but and other might catch B T N (with spaces). Until I learn about complex conditions - such as 'if I have N in char 5, then I shouldn't be looking for it char 7 - I might have these two situations in different filters. Still experimenting.
4. In a previous post you said "I am trialling the vpooremail bitcoin regex string thanks and will monitor for any updates to it". Could you explain what you are doing. I might trail others...
5. Your whitelist also sounds like something that I've done. Do you simply have one filter with all you valid addresses in, move those to your inbox, and not Process Subsequent Rules? I haven't needed this because I use Outlook, where it is one-click to 'mark something as Junk' - which actually has the effect of blacklisting the sender's address. It seems to work OK, although I expected spammers to change their addresses more than I've found.
6. I don't use discard now. I sometimes toy with sending cryptic replies (such as just a fullstop) to the sender, but I'm not sure if they can recognise that my mailbox is live from those.
7. I'm beginning to get suspicious about the length of time taken to process changes to filters. I sometimes update filters, and then test them. And I seem to get inconsistent results - which I think are due to me sending a message, say a minute after updating the filter but, before the update has been processed. There definitely appear to be inconsistencies, but when you're dealing with flaky, undocumented code, it's difficult to pin down. (e.g I could swear I got different results from one filter, simply by changing the 'Process Subsequent Rules' flag. But was that caused by the update-delay??? Still to re-visit that, leaving 5 minutes after changing the flag.

Good old Virgin. I took several minutes to compose this message. When I came to send it, it just refused to budge. In trying to understand what was happening, I scrolled up towards the top of the page. I happened to notice an exclamation mark with some kind of error message about something matching an "Authentication ticket number", or some such. Apart from presumably timing me out, Virgin couldn't be bothered to put the error message anywhere near the button that I'd clicked. So I copied it, refreshed, logged in, pasted, and hope that this goes now .....
My life is so under-control when I'm not dealing with Virgin email....
0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 39 of 60
Flag for a moderator

REGEX FILTER

My own simple filter using keywords works perfectly for bitcoin and norton but does not have every variation and spammers sometime put in special characters. (sent myself some emails with subjects bitcoin, btc)

my own filter to exclude senders that are not .com, .co.uk, and.org failed, it works in reverse so I have disabled that regex filter.

your vpooremail bitcoin filter with the brackets changed works but picks up most emails, not just bitcoin so may need editing.

there is a 5 minute time delay for emails when filters are used, seems a bit longer than usual but I have noticed this before myself.

------------------------------------------

4. In a previous post you said "I am trialling the vpooremail bitcoin regex string thanks and will monitor for any updates to it". Could you explain what you are doing. I might trail others...

I have tested your filter by sending myself emails and also checking if it picks up bitcoin etc, it does pick up bitcoin plus norton  and virgin spam-

I changed the square brackets to normal brackets as you suggested, the one with square brackets picked up nothing.

monitoring was a reference just to viewing posts to see if the string is updated in the future by yourself.

My simple keyword regex filter works very well for norton and bitcoin, and I think the boothy99 filter works as I have used it before.

It is difficult to anticipate every possible variation of the word bitcoin or btc the spammer can use, I presume that was the idea of your string.

--------------------------------------

2. We have come to the same conclusion that having a one-to-one relationship between the filter and the target folder is good for control. So I now have folders labelled, spam1, spam 2, spam3 etc, and filters called Bitcoin1, Bitcoin2, Bitcoin3, Macafee 4, Norton5 etc

totally agree with that, if using several regex filters have to switch on subsequent so it uses all the filters in testing mode

------------------------------------------

5. Your whitelist also sounds like something that I've done. Do you simply have one filter with all you valid addresses in, move those to your inbox, and not Process Subsequent Rules? I haven't needed this because I use Outlook, where it is one-click to 'mark something as Junk' - which actually has the effect of blacklisting the sender's address. It seems to work OK, although I expected spammers to change their addresses more than I've found.

that is correct, works well to keep inbox free of spam. Other filters then direct all other unknown /spams to specific folders with a final filter using condition from containing @ picks up any new spams and puts them in a separate folder for inspection.

It is complicated but I manage my spam and experiment with filtering.

----------------------------------------

Good old Virgin. I took several minutes to compose this message. When I came to send it, it just refused to budge. In trying to understand what was happening, I scrolled up towards the top of the page. I happened to notice an exclamation mark with some kind of error message about something matching an "Authentication ticket number", or some such. Apart from presumably timing me out, Virgin couldn't be bothered to put the error message anywhere near the button that I'd clicked. So I copied it, refreshed, logged in, pasted, and hope that this goes now .....
My life is so under-control when I'm not dealing with Virgin email

Always wise to copy message to draft in case it fails, I also often loose my posts and they do not publish so I now try to control c save every few minutes

suggest you try simple keyword in the regex filters(subject and from conditions) and just keep updating them if needed, I usually put variations of lower case, upper case and begging with a capital, or just part word can be used like "bit"or "coin"

The boothy99 regex  is tried and tested so worth using, hope your tests/trials succeed and will watch for any new posts on this thread.

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 40 of 60
Flag for a moderator

UPDATE

condition from     not regex-  (special one I use to block unusual sender addresses)-

.co.uk|.com|.org

This filter was working in reverse because when I checked the filter it was regex, and should have  been "not regex"

(I think the condition from not regex was either entered incorrectly, or had changed for some reason to condition from regex)

I have now corrected it, so will see if the filter works and   report with a post.

Not for everyone, as very restrictive and no good if .eu , au, etc. emails are wanted but any wanted countries can be included in the not regex filter.

0 Kudos