cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent help needed to access my email

Zoesmadhouse
Tuning in

I have messed up - I left virginmedia as I never had a signal.   I could never get hold of them either and as a deaf customer there was no other access made available.

I was not notified my email would stop and suddenly today it has.

I need to get my urgent medical emails from the account if it is to close.

how can I do this?

feeling so very stressed 

can anyone help?

17 REPLIES 17

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Zoesmadhouse wrote:

I left virginmedia ...............I was not notified my email would stop and suddenly today it has.

I need to get my urgent medical emails from the account if it is to close.- how can I do this?

VM certainly do close email accounts that are no longer linked to a VM broadband account. Their Terms and Conditions say they will do that after 90 days but in reality these old accounts often go on for years before VM get round to closing them.

So this may be what has happened to your account but equally you may have  lost access to your VM email account just at the moment for a number of other reasons - that happens even to current VM customers! Sometimes it is due to problems with VM and sometimes due to issues at the customer's end.

To check what's going on with your account it would be great if you can post back with the exact error message you get when you try to sign in to it via the Virgin Media website from this link https://mail2.virginmedia.com/ 

On the other hand if you are desperate to try something yourself you could try resetting the password from this link https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password Just enter your email address and answer the security questions. If you pass that check, change the password to one you have never used before and then leave it 30 minutes before trying to access the account with the new password.

Post back with how you get on.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks you so much for the advice.

I went to the first link and the message came up “we didn’t recognise the username or password you entered”

I went to the second link and it said “ please ensure you provide the email address you use to sign into my virginmedia.”

I received no notification this would happen or I would have set up a new account earlier and changed all my emails to a new one.

Can you help?

Thanks

Zoe

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Zoesmadhouse wrote:

I went to the second link and it said “ please ensure you provide the email address you use to sign into my virginmedia.”

I am sorry to say that means you were correct about your account being closed.

As you probably realise I am not a VM employee but there may be another option open to you. Do you normally access your VM email account from the VM Webmail service on their website or do you use an email app on your phone or an email client such as Microsoft Outlook or the MS Mail app?

The reason I ask is that these apps and email clients access VM email via a different route and not directly via your webmail account. As such they often continue to access the email account even when VM have closed the Webmail access.

If you do not use one of those apps, you could download Mozilla Thunderbird  from here https://www.thunderbird.net . It is open source, free software that is easy to set up. Basically you juts enter your email address and password and it sets up the access automatically.  I know it's ok because I use it myself to manage a number of VM and non VM email accounts.

I would stress that is simply a way in which you might be able to access the emails you need. It is not a long term solution to allow you to continue using your VM email.

Try that and see how you get on. It has worked for other people.

Failing that, you are reliant on the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum). They may, and I very much stress "may", be able to arrange for you to regain temporary access to you email account. One of them should contact you via this thread in the next day or so.

Please post back with how you get on with the Thunderbird option.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Hiya I use an old MAC 15yrs old which isn’t compatible with Thunderbird.  I tried to download it on my phone but that also hasn’t worked (()feeling frustrated)))

any other suggestions would be welcome.

I access all emails on my iPhone or on Mail on my old MAC

thanks for all the info

Zoe

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Zoesmadhouse wrote:

I access all emails on my iPhone or on Mail on my old MAC

Thanks for the update. I should have said that Thunderbird is only compatible with Windows and Linux.

However, if you have an iPhone presumably you already have the Mail App installed https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mail

I have no experience of Apple devices but all email apps whether on IOS (Apple), Mac, Windows or Linux devices all use the same SMTP / IMAP protocols to access email accounts as the Thunderbird app. Therefore they would also have access to your old email account - unless VM have deleted the account completely, which is possible.

Coenoby

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Thunderbird certainly is available on Mac, at least for some OS versions. I installed it recently on a Macbook Air. 

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/installing-thunderbird-on-mac

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

MacOS 10.2 (Sierra) is required to run Thunderbird. Which version of MacOS are you running?

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jpeg1 @用心棒 

Thanks for that correction.

I honestly thought I had seen that Mozilla had removed support for Mac but checking that now it was just that the more recent versions of Thunderbird do not support the earlier versions of the Mac OS. They need Mac OS 10.12 or later. My fault there for not checking that before posting. ☹️

@Zoesmadhouse  does say they have a "MAC 15yrs old" so that is probably why they had a problem installing the latest version of Thunderbird.

However, according to their last post, it turns out that Zoemadhouse says then can  "access all emails on my iPhone or on Mail on my old MAC" so it seems they did not actually need to instal Thunderbird at all. 

Thanks again for the correction.

Coenoby

Apologies for confusion I should have said “I previously was able to get emails” from my iPhone and applemac

i still have no way to get my lost emails.

I wish they had give me notice 🤦🏻‍♀️