Menu
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 11 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to receive emails on iphone 11

Apologies if you're having further issues Lycraman,

It's not something that we've come across before, so we're more than happy to look at things from here. 

If you could try disconnecting from the WiFi, rebooting the phone, clearing all cache and cookies and let us know how things go and we'll go from there.

Appreciate it,

Beth​​​​

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 12 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beth,

I have disconnected from wifi, rebooted the phone & clear website data & cookies.

Reconnected to wifi and attempted to send email again after checking settings on phone had not changed, I get instant error message, followed by email sending after 5 minutes

Just to check if it is the phone that is the problem, I sent an email from Google mail app on the phone using a gmail email address I had set up, and this went through instantly without issues, which leads me to think the issue is not the phone, but on ISP end.

Having to move over to Outlook or gmail, and use other email addresses is going to be a major pain, hence wanting to get the problem fixed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 13 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@Lycraman wrote:

Just to check if it is the phone that is the problem, I sent an email from Google mail app on the phone using a gmail email address I had set up, and this went through instantly without issues, which leads me to think the issue is not the phone, but on ISP end.

Having to move over to Outlook or gmail, and use other email addresses is going to be a major pain, hence wanting to get the problem fixed.

You said in your earlier posts that had also installed the Outlook email app on your phone and that seemed to be working fine. Was that using your VM address? If so it suggests that the problem is with the Apple Mail app rather than the ISP.

I have had no personal experience, but the Apple Mail app does not get good reviews.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 14 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Yes I have the Outlook mail app on the phone, and whilst it does send and receive, it takes some time to send just basic short messages testing emails.

Using the Gmail app and a Gmail email address, the test message went through MUCH faster, so perhaps it is a combination of Apple mail app, and VM email addresses?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 15 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lycraman,

Just to clarify, alternative apps on the phone work fine, but not the default app. And you are also able to send/receive emails fine on other devices. If that is the case, then it would be an issue with the default app. Have you tried removing email accounts and re-adding them or do you have any security apps enabled that may be filtering the app from sending? 

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 16 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi Corey,

I have removed the email accounts from the Apple mail app on both phones. I have re-installed the accounts several times over the last few days, I had a brief period of stability with sending emails using the Apple mail app, this ended today. When I sent emails today, I get an error, wait several minutes and then the email gets sent. Using the Outlook client the emails get sent, but not very quickly - it takes several seconds for a single line email to get sent.

The problem is affecting an iphone 8 & iphone 11 - they have the latest software updates, I have checked settings for imap, smtp, etc several times.

The Apple mail app is working particularly badly, the Outlook app works, but the emails are slow to send.

It appears that I can receive emails fine using the Apple mail app & the Outlook app.

Gmail app & Gmail email addresses work perfectly - sending and receiving.

I have spoken to Apple tech support, and they have checked there is no conflicts with Apple mail and other apps.

The phones have not been jail broken

These are the only devices I use for sending and receiving emails

Up until last week both phones were working fine.

I do not know what else to advise...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 17 of 24
Flag for a moderator

One combination you don't seem to have tried is adding the VM email address to the Gmail app.  Try that and see if the issue persists.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 18 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham, sorry I forgot to mention I have tried adding the VM email addresses to the Gmail app, but this was impossible, I could not get this to verify at all. The app kept saying there was a problem with the server / username, even though I have had this combination confirmed over the phone by VM customer services.

So Apple Mail - receives, but struggles massively to send

Outlook app - receives, is slow to send even short messages

Gmail app - could not even set up

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 19 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lycraman,

Are you able to log into the virgin media email via the website and check if sending/delivery of emails are OK.

I'll also send you a PM, so I can check your account. That will be arriving shortly.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 20 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi Corey, previous to today webmail was working, following your advice now I am getting errors when I try and send emails using webmail - something about credentials and server not available.

0 Kudos