Menu
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 61 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Re: Stopping SPAM from being delivered..

PHISHING AND SPOOFING

My spam emails can often be in this category and often appear to be from  company's such as Virgin  media or connected with virgin or could be a bank, shop etc. which are designed to look genuine but are fake. Some do escape the spam filters and they are the dangerous ones.

see-

Spoofing and Phishing — FBI

Difference Between Phishing and Spoofing (with Comparison Chart) - Tech Differences

I put them into the spam folder and hope virgin monitor the spam.

alf28

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 62 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Hi @ALF28 is there anything we can do to help?

Regards

Lee_R

ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 63 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Lee_R

I  am OK Thanks no action required, I now have my own system for spam that works well for me.

There is not much current spam now, and as you see from my posts I have identified some current dangers in recent posts but also have minimised my risk of any exposure to spam email and scam email, by using the settings to provide protection and also whitelisting my email inbox and using an email client in combination with the setting in web mail.

Nothing is ever 100% secure and the threats are very real.

My filtering is automated so I filter  everything to spam and a holding file, except for whitelisted  emails, making the inbox  safer and just avoiding any spam, or interacting with spam. (I  control the spam by "isolating" the spam emails to a holding folder for reference)

I suspect virgin have improved spam tagging or blocked some spam senders because so few come through now  so I will finish on this thread.

I will leave it to others to update this post.

alf28

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 64 of 72
Flag for a moderator

RANDOM NEWSLETTERS

I often get random newsletters and have to check if they are genuine or fake- some are genuine but some more difficult to check.

The first thing to check is if you have an account/login with that company, if not then it is probably spam.

Also check the origin of the email, look at headers in the view source.

In some cases it may be an old contact from years ago that you have forgotten.

If in doubt and think it is fake, register with the genuine company and subscribe to their newsletter with a different email address, so you can then check the sender address and comare this to the unsolicitted newsletter which will have an unofficial fake sender email address that would be different to the genuine newsletter, In some cases it nay be from affiliates (spam) offering vouchers, and not from the genuine company.

Some  regular newsletter will arrive regularly and are subscribed to, but the spam ones will not, I have examples where just one spam email newsletter will arrive in 2020 via sendgid then another one  2021 with a different source  -"unknown" but the same sender address was spoofed.

I have now signed up for the official newsletter to compare the fake email newsletter with genuine newsletter, but it means opening an account to do that with the company involved.

If then you get two identical genuine newsletters on different emails, and think it is genuine, the newsletter to the old email could be unsubscribed.

alf28

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 65 of 72
Flag for a moderator

PHISHING AND SPOOFING

Hackers may send spoofed emails from a "known contact name" past associate from years ago, but with an unknown email address.

I had one tagged as spam this week to my virgin email address, from the person I know, but the sender email is different and changes each time.(the last one was 2018)

The email is addresses to 10 emails, but only a few are valid  and may be from an address book with family and friends and general contacts.

The source is a valid Hotmail email address from India via Ukraine IP addresses, the previous one was from gmx.de (Germany)

The email text means nothing to me but then gives a link to an unknown website with a short URL  link.

The person may have been hacked in the past and a hacker using the contacts, hoping I click on a dodgy link or attachment

Also, strange symbols in the email and the use of a red exclamation mark, often found in scam emails.

The scammer  has been sending me this one since 2016 but approx 4 received over the years.

MEDICAL PRODUCT EMAILS

Had two spams of a rude nature selling potions, not tagged as spam

ANTIVIRUS EMAILS

Intego package (for macs)  with VPN advert, via Amazon servers, have had this on two different emails- doing the rounds and not detected as spam.

I have not come across this before, may be USA product via France.

It may be genuine, but not sure, I have no account with the company. I do not have a mac.

alf28

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 66 of 72
Flag for a moderator

PHISHING AND SPOOFING- update

The spoofed emails from a known contact may have been following hacking/breach of  email addresses in 2017, I have checked this out and think it was the breach -Onliner spambot (spam list) in 2017   in the Netherlands which leaked 711million  emails and  passwords, so many accounts may have been hacked, I did have a yahoo.co.uk account at that time in 2016, and I think my known contact had yahoo as well, so the accounts may have been hacked and even if closed the hackers have a list of contacts/address books dating back to 2016/2017 which is when I started to get the spoofed emails to my virgin email which dates back to 2003, as emails are often linked via the address books when emails are sent between yahoo.co.uk and ntlworld.com. The hackers are unknown and in places like Korea, but the scam emails can be worldwide. However, as I have had no contact with my known contact since 2009 but emails and records can still exist on the company servers for years. Yahoo is now more secure and is now yahoo.com

I also have had other similar known contacts via yahoo.co.uk from the past used for scam emails. I hope most email companies are more secure these days.

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 67 of 72
Flag for a moderator

-Onliner spambot (spam list) in 2017

My virgin primary ntlworld.com email address is also on this Onliner spambot list, so it is not surprising I get spam emails regularly.

My old yahoo.co.uk email is closed, but my known contact may still have a valid yahoo.co.uk email address, it shows as valid.

I also receive  hundreds of spam emails related to sport betting and racing often  from yahoo email sender(s)., some in Australia.

It is a worry that if hackers are spoofing my known contacts to me, then they may well be spoofing my own name/email to other  people/contacts?

The danger is that if someone sees a name they relate to, then they may accept the email as genuine and click on links or attachments provided by hackers in a fake email, designed to fool the reader of the email that it is a known contact sending the email.

alf28

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 68 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 69 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Hi @ALF28

How is the issue now? Are the emails still coming through as often or has this still improved?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 70 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Travis_M, thanks for the reply.

There has been a marked  improvement by virgin media regarding the spam emails issue.

The spam detection is approx 50%, previously 30%

Less spam emails are getting through now, a reduction of approx 45%, but of recent, half of the spam emails relate to sport betting.

No system can ever block all spam , I am currently receiving approx 20 per month.

I am aware of the dangers and use other emails now for secure transactions.

I still have genuine emails whitelisted and monitor the spam email to see what comes through but never click on links or attachments.

The spam issue only affects my 17 year old primary email ntlworld.com email address with many contacts over the years some still valid, the secondary emails that I set up get zero spam, I have switched most contacts away from the primary address due to the spam issue and onliner spambot activity by hackers who have some of my old contact details and continue to send scam emails since 2016/2017.

Most people with older email addresses may  be on the massive onliner spambot list  which is a collection of previously hacked data breaches, it can be checked on the "have I been pwned website",a very useful checking method just by typing in an email address..

alf28

Tags (1)
0 Kudos