cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spamhaus blocking IP address

P3dr0-62
Joining in

Hello

I note there are other posts about Spamhaus blocking mail from the Virigin media IP address, but I checked on the Spamhaus list, and it says that if using a standard product for e mail like Outlook, then the problem is likely to be a need to require SMTP authentication through Outlook set up. I have SMTP on my outgoing mail (and wonder if I should apply to incoming as well?) so that does not seem to have sorted out the problem. I have set up a SPF record on my DNS, as that is said to be a reason why a Google e mail adress might be blocking but that has not helped.

How do I get Virgin to change my IP address? I have tried re-starting router but it still uses the same IP address.

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @P3dr0-62 thanks for your post here although we're sorry to hear of your concerns raised.

Unfortunately, as your IP address is dynamic, this can change at any time but it does also mean we're unable to force this change for you I'm afraid.

You can check your email status over the email blacklist checker here if unsure.

In terms of what you need to do, you'll need to perform virus and security scans using your choice of security software, and once you're no longer triggering the spam systems will remove the IP address from the blacklist.

If you're not on one of the above blacklists or the issue remains after performing the necessary checks on their device(s), please head here.

I hope this helps.

Many thanks

Tom_W

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Client62
Hero

An email sent via an unspecified SMTP server to a google email destination is rejected with an unspecified error message.

It would help to know ...

Which SMTP server ?   ( use the name format E.g.   smtp.isp.co.uk )  

Can you copy and paste the exact email rejection message ?

Are you sending 1 message to a friend / business or is this a large distribution list ?

Hi

Please see one rejection message details below. I am taking out the actual e mail addresses for security, but am told the local authority who runs this e mail provision has tight scanning criteria and reject a lot of people's mails. This is an individual mail to a local library, but I cannot e mail the local authority about it as their system rejects my IP address which is listed by Spamhaus.

For your info I have checked my outgoing mail set up and changed the ports to 993 IMAP and 465 outgoing. Encryption is SSL/TLS. even after these changes I received another bounce back. Thank you.

Reporting-MTA: dns; smtp.livemail.co.uk
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 3E83BC59E6
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; [XXXXXXXXXXXXX]
Arrival-Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 10:11:48 +0000 (GMT)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [XXXXXXXXXXXXXX]
Original-Recipient: rfc822;[XXXXXXXXXXXXXX]
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mailgate-a.valeofglamorgan.gov.uk
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.7.1 82.16.165.185 listed at zen.spamhaus.org

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @P3dr0-62 thanks for your post here although we're sorry to hear of your concerns raised.

Unfortunately, as your IP address is dynamic, this can change at any time but it does also mean we're unable to force this change for you I'm afraid.

You can check your email status over the email blacklist checker here if unsure.

In terms of what you need to do, you'll need to perform virus and security scans using your choice of security software, and once you're no longer triggering the spam systems will remove the IP address from the blacklist.

If you're not on one of the above blacklists or the issue remains after performing the necessary checks on their device(s), please head here.

I hope this helps.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Thanks Tom

Unfortunately my IP address appears on the 2 block lists, Spamhaus and DUHL Sorbs. This seems insurmountable as the reason Sorbs blocks is because it is a dynamically allocated IP address!

MX Toolbox requires a registration to get assistance/reports so I will need to consider that. I am going to ask a colleague to look at this, as he is much better at these things than I am, but I am wondering whether one of the spammers has been copying my e mail address or something like a Firestick on the network might have some malware on it. I will try and check these options out.

Thanks for trying.