cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam

shamick59
Dialled in

Have Virgin turned off their spam filters?  I am getting so much spam in my ntlworld account. Don’t get anything on my gmail account  Any suggestions on how to stop this please?

36 REPLIES 36

Reporting scam emails to report@phishing.gov.uk

If the forwarded scam email fails to be delivered due to spam content, it may mean that they have already received this email before and therefor it is blocked.

An explanation of this can be found in the following link-

Sending Spam and Phishing emails to report@phishing.gov.uk — MoneySavingExpert Forum

The latest scam emails I received today are NHS covid passport and HMRC pending tax return.

I have reported many over the years but the scammers keep sending from different email addresses each time, however I do think that the national cyber security centre do investigate the scam emails and stop some scammers and close down scam websites also.

Usually the fake scam emails have a sender email address that is not an official email address which proves the email is fake/spoofed.

Spammers trawl for email addresses and then send out spam, if one email is getting lots of spam then it may be  best to switch emails, some advise using alias email addresses, if giving out details to general websites, so that they can be easily changed if they receive  too many  spam emails.

alf28

Hi shamick59

If you're sending them as a forwarded email, they're probably getting blocked by Virgin as spam 😕

Try saving the spam as an .eml file then forwarding that as an attachment to report@phishing.gov.uk

That will allow them through. Mentioned here -

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Spam/m-p/4848262#M227484

thank you - ive just done as you've said and its gone through - ironic!!

You don't need to forward us suspicious emails you find in your spam/junk folder.

I read this in the link- mentioned

Report a scam email - NCSC.GOV.UK

Phishing: Spot and report scam emails, texts, websites and... - NCSC.GOV.UK

I use many filters and manage to filter out most spam emails, many of which just keep repeating, although this does needs some updating, many spammers can be blocked. I block almost everything now and use an email sender whitelist, which then selects which emails I want to receive and read.

alf28

Hi @Shamik59, 

Sorry to hear of your difficulties reporting these SPAM emails. 

Thank you to the community for providing the information and support to get this sorted!

Please let us know if there is anything else you need. 

All the best. 

Molly

Hi ALF28

I'm not sure what you mean by "You don't need to forward us suspicious emails you find in your spam/junk folder."

If the crud is in your junk folder - then yes, Virgin have spotted it. However, it was still sent out and the ugly little thief scammers are obviously still active and sending their crud out here, there, and everywhere.

Sending (any) spam / phishing emails to Phishing.gov gives the service an opportunity to block the scummers' servers & websites - so ... other folk including one's self, are less likely to receive scum-spam in the future. This is what I appear to have found - very little spam appearing even in my spam folder, so Phishing.gov appear to be doing an excellent job and are worth taking a little time out to send to (even spam recognised by Virgin) 👍

Thanks for the correction, It will help to stop spam if "all spam/scam" is reported.