Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Spam removal

I keep getting spam emails mainly from bitcoin and gobbledegook sites on trying to block a message comes up total number of spam filter entry reached maximum value 500 how do I locate this and empty it ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam removal

That sounds like a message from the email client/app that you are using.  It isn't one that would be generated by Virgin Media Mail.  Which email app are you using?  Community members may be able to point you to the relevant instructions, or search for it using your favourite search engine.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If your Spam box in Virgin Webmail is overflowing, you need to login to your webmail account. You will be able to see your Spam and delete and erase the contents permanently. If it keeps accumulating, you will presumably need to do this regularly.

If, as indicated above (by one more expert than me), the issue lies within your mail application, I can only speak of my experience with my Mail app on my iMac. Spam arrives in my Junk box and, as soon as it arrives, I erase it permanently without opening it. I read somewhere that, if you so much as open junk, a message goes back to the sender that it has hit a 'live' target, ensuring the sender sends more. I am not sure if it is true.

I think it makes sense to erase permanently all junk as soon as it arrives. My recent experience of regular junk has been from 'newsletters' from .eu e-mail addresses which I tracked to Amsterdam. I put filters in Virgin webmail and in my iMac Mail app to place all .eu mail in junk and erase it when it arrives.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@ahrbee wrote:

If your Spam box in Virgin Webmail is overflowing, you need to login to your webmail account. You will be able to see your Spam and delete and erase the contents permanently. If it keeps accumulating, you will presumably need to do this regularly.

The issue raised by rossibb concerns a limit on the number of rules not the number of spam messages received.

…I read somewhere that, if you so much as open junk, a message goes back to the sender that it has hit a 'live' target, ensuring the sender sends more. I am not sure if it is true.

This is true where the default email client configuration is set to download remote content, as in Apple's  Mail app; miscreant tracks status of live target by monitoring requests made for unique content, like an image, included in the spam message. In Apple Mail you can protect against this by unselecting Preferences… > Viewing > Load remote content in messages

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I missed the point that it was filters overflowing. I only have one filter for .eu e-mails. .eu addresses are where most of my junk arises. I apologise for missing the point.

The box to load remote in mailing content is ticked in my Apple Mail; but where mails go to Junk, no pictures etc. appear. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have sorted it thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@rossibb wrote:

I have sorted it thank you

That is good to read. Out of curiosity where was the issue occurring and how was it corrected?

0 Kudos