cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam emails

Alex893
Tuning in

Hi, I am receiving emails to this account United Kingdom - VirginMedia <vme@info.emailselections.org>
could anyone explain why and how to stop. 
I know that they are spamming or trying to spam me. 
This is not my account to be clear. 
Thanks

31 REPLIES 31

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you post detail of the filter rule here as a condition of From Contains emailselections.org should be sufficient for matching.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

gfp
On our wavelength

Sorry for the delay in responding. I am still getting emails from this spammer, the most recent coming today from reply@news.emailselections.co.uk - they change the from address regularly. I have the following filter rules in place for the From address so I am not sure why they still come through. 

daily@info.emailselections.org

@info.emailselections.org

@news.emailselections.co.uk

emailselection.org

emailselection.co.uk

I also have Body contains emailselection 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The rules conditions sound fine.

Are the spam emails arriving in your Inbox?

Can you post a screenshot of the rule that fails to match; FYI Wikipedia ― Screenshot? A screenshot of the rule is unlikely to contain personal information but if it does make sure to redact before posting it here.

gfp
On our wavelength

Hi, Thanks for your help.

Yes, the emails are arriving in my Inbox.

I don't know how to send a screenshot. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "that fails to match". I wouldn't expect a rule that didn't match to stop the spam.

However, In looking again at this again for this reply, I think I know what I have done wrong with setting up the filters. One thing is the "part" condition which I have set as "All" and I think it should be something else. 

I will make a couple of changes and get back to you with an update.

Thanks again.

Another rule which I would expect to catch the email above is: From contains emailselection.co.uk, Actions Discard

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If a rule's Actions should be performed if any of its Conditions are true then, as you have noted, Apply rule if any condition is met must be set.
2022-01-13.jpeg

FYI: Following Wikipedia link details how to take a screenshot; make sure to redact any personal information before posting.

As well as editing your filters as suggested, you could try forwarding the rubbish from the scummers to the free service by phishing.gov.uk via report@phishing.gov.uk and hopefully get them blocked. I've been doing this and it certainly seems to have worked - hardly getting any trash through, even in my spam folder these days.

Here's a link and a cropped version of the message... - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Spam/m-p/4848262#M227484

Cropped message ....

"More information about the service here ...

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/information/report-suspicious-emails

Rather than simply forwarding the spam-crud directly (you could try though) as this might get blocked by Virgin's filters 🤔🤨 !!! ... I tend to "Save-as" a *.eml  file and forward the saved file(s) (as a batch) to the email I gave above. No need to subscribe and it's automated - sending you a brief email of confirmation as soon as they receive your files (so no need to write anything in the email you send).

It took a few sendings of a number of crud, but whoever was sending it out soon got stomped on by the looks of it 😁"

Hi @gfp

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

How are you getting on after trying the above?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

gfp
On our wavelength

Hi,

Thanks for this. Yes, I have used the phishing.gov.uk service and, like you, have found a reduction in phishing emails so it does seem to have an effect.

gfp
On our wavelength

Hi,

Many thanks for your continuing help!

I am still receiving spam from @news.emailselections.co.uk. The filters I have set are:

gfp_1-1642403757252.png

and

gfp_0-1642403436029.png

I don't seem to have a drop down menu to apply rules if any condition is met?

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When more that one Condition exists in a rule the Apply rule if all condition are met becomes a selectable drop down option.

The Condition of the first rule will never be met because an email address's domain is the part following the @ symbol, i.e. news.emailselections.co.uk 

Where an email expected to match the second rule did not can you:

• select it
  • select > View source
  • use browser's find function (press Ctrl + F) to locate all occurrences of @news.emailselections.co.uk and confirm one exists where the line begin From:, for example:
    ⋮
    ⋮