Menu
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam emails

Can you post detail of the filter rule here as a condition of From Contains emailselections.org should be sufficient for matching.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
gfp
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for the delay in responding. I am still getting emails from this spammer, the most recent coming today from reply@news.emailselections.co.uk - they change the from address regularly. I have the following filter rules in place for the From address so I am not sure why they still come through. 

daily@info.emailselections.org

@info.emailselections.org

@news.emailselections.co.uk

emailselection.org

emailselection.co.uk

I also have Body contains emailselection 

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 32
Flag for a moderator

The rules conditions sound fine.

Are the spam emails arriving in your Inbox?

Can you post a screenshot of the rule that fails to match; FYI Wikipedia ― Screenshot? A screenshot of the rule is unlikely to contain personal information but if it does make sure to redact before posting it here.

0 Kudos
gfp
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Thanks for your help.

Yes, the emails are arriving in my Inbox.

I don't know how to send a screenshot. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "that fails to match". I wouldn't expect a rule that didn't match to stop the spam.

However, In looking again at this again for this reply, I think I know what I have done wrong with setting up the filters. One thing is the "part" condition which I have set as "All" and I think it should be something else. 

I will make a couple of changes and get back to you with an update.

Thanks again.

Another rule which I would expect to catch the email above is: From contains emailselection.co.uk, Actions Discard

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 32
Flag for a moderator

If a rule's Actions should be performed if any of its Conditions are true then, as you have noted, Apply rule if any condition is met must be set.
2022-01-13.jpeg

FYI: Following Wikipedia link details how to take a screenshot; make sure to redact any personal information before posting.

0 Kudos
boothy99
Fibre optic
Message 16 of 32
Flag for a moderator

As well as editing your filters as suggested, you could try forwarding the rubbish from the scummers to the free service by phishing.gov.uk via report@phishing.gov.uk and hopefully get them blocked. I've been doing this and it certainly seems to have worked - hardly getting any trash through, even in my spam folder these days.

Here's a link and a cropped version of the message... - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Spam/m-p/4848262#M227484

Cropped message ....

"More information about the service here ...

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/information/report-suspicious-emails

Rather than simply forwarding the spam-crud directly (you could try though) as this might get blocked by Virgin's filters 🤔🤨 !!! ... I tend to "Save-as" a *.eml  file and forward the saved file(s) (as a batch) to the email I gave above. No need to subscribe and it's automated - sending you a brief email of confirmation as soon as they receive your files (so no need to write anything in the email you send).

It took a few sendings of a number of crud, but whoever was sending it out soon got stomped on by the looks of it 😁"

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 17 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi @gfp

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

How are you getting on after trying the above?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
gfp
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam emails,

Hi,

Thanks for this. Yes, I have used the phishing.gov.uk service and, like you, have found a reduction in phishing emails so it does seem to have an effect.

gfp
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Many thanks for your continuing help!

I am still receiving spam from @news.emailselections.co.uk. The filters I have set are:

gfp_1-1642403757252.png

and

gfp_0-1642403436029.png

I don't seem to have a drop down menu to apply rules if any condition is met?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 20 of 32
Flag for a moderator

When more that one Condition exists in a rule the Apply rule if all condition are met becomes a selectable drop down option.

The Condition of the first rule will never be met because an email address's domain is the part following the @ symbol, i.e. news.emailselections.co.uk 

Where an email expected to match the second rule did not can you:

• select it
  • select > View source
  • use browser's find function (press Ctrl + F) to locate all occurrences of @news.emailselections.co.uk and confirm one exists where the line begin From:, for example:
    ⋮
    ⋮
0 Kudos