Menu
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Secondary accounnts

I have secondary virginmedia.com  email accounts which are managed from the primary account.

Does this mean if the primary account was hacked the hacker would have access to these secondary accounts and see the emails listed and ability to change password and security question.

It has not happened but just wondered. This is probably no different to other companies but as there is no 2 step security or recovery email system a hacker could easily change security question and control all of the accounts.

So the simple security of the primary account could risk the secondary accounts as there is no system to prove identity such as sms text used by Amazon,  ebay, PayPal,  Google,  outlook,yahoo for example.

Also the use of another email address owned by the customer is usually used for confirmation of changes, a non virgin address like Gmail. Com. This would make it safer and harder to hack.

In spite of suggested improvements  or observations of poor password only 10 digits and no symbols etc the virgin forum seem unable to achieve top class security to match that of Google or microsoft.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Secondary accounnts

@ALF28 wrote:

I have secondary virginmedia.com  email accounts which are managed from the primary account.

Does this mean if the primary account was hacked the hacker would have access to these secondary accounts and see the emails listed and ability to change password and security question(?)

The credentials (email address and password) used to access a Virgin Media primary email account also allow access to the customer's 'My Virgin Media' account and from there you can change the password, or even delete, any secondary accounts linked to the account. So the answer to your question is yes.

It has not happened but just wondered.

It may not have happened to you but do you know that it has never happened?

In spite of suggested improvements  or observations of poor password only 10 digits and no symbols etc the virgin forum seem unable to achieve top class security to match that of Google or microsoft.

For the most part, Virgin Community Forum members and Very Insightful Persons (Superusers) are VM customers so can only make suggestions.

Clearly Liberty Global (the multinational who use the 'Virgin Media' branding for their UK operation) has taken a business decision not to undertake any major improvements to their very basic email service. They just don't see themselves in the business of matching Gmail or Outlook.com.

I have been a customer of VM for many years and I am still very happy with their broadband and TV services. However, I have never used their email service as my main email address and my advice is that no-one else should either. 

Your post highlights the key security issues but the poor telephone support, unreliable webmail offering, poor/'quirky' spam filtering and the general lack of development of VM's email service are factors to consider as well.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the brilliant reply and response to my concerns on security. I am of similar mind and now use other email clients also. The advice answers totally my curiosity regarding the technical issues of security and perhaps now I know the score and accept that virgin email will never match the security of gmail or outlook as they are massive companies . I agree the other services have been great broadband/tv/phone and maintenance so am generally happy with the service and the email is still attached to the account so I just keep it but with limited usage now.

0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

secondary accounts user names  (@virignmedia.com)

I noticed that when setting up secondary accounts the new email is checked that it does not exist.

I was surprised that my existing ntlworld address exists as a @virignmedia.com with the same name and number combination (another member), however it has a dot between first name and surname, if I removed the dot it allowed me to use my name and number combination.

This means across the various types of email, @virignmedia.com, ntlworld.com, blueyonder.com, virign.net etc, it is possible for the same name, for example- any.name67 to exist and be duplicated across different virgin email extensions, could be some confusion there but each should be secure with own log in, but to have the same user name with 2 different customers both using  any.name67 (example) could end up with confusion.

I get gmails to my ntlworld account from a gmail user with my same name and number, and have had others use my own gmail name, and have others use my ntlworld address on unknown invoices sent to my ntlworld.com, perhaps the confusion is cause by multiple people using the same name and number for different emails. Also sometimes people use the wrong number putting their house address number so the email goes to the wrong person, have had that also getting an email once from another member who forgot his number and put the address number of his house which matched my email address.

In the usa even more confusion as people use their state telephone  code in the email address, so duplications occur easily, I have had that one.

Also note that my wife had a @virginmedia.com secondary email which was deleted and later wanted to put it back on but it was already taken so she chose another address.

With old accounts like ntlworld.com it may be worth opening a secondary @virignmedia.com account with the same name and number so others can not use the same name and number as yourself, I have done that but another customer uses my dotted version. You are allowed to have up to 10 emails addresses I think.

Once the secondary email is set up it then allows you to put an alternative contact email, helps with recovery and wise to do this and also set up the recovery security question with something not obvious.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@ALF28 

I'm afraid that you have got this all wrong.  When you try and create a secondary account with yourname@virginmedia it will say it already exists if yourname@blueyonder or yourname@ Ntlworld or yourname@virgin.net have ever been used.  It is designed so that two people cannot use the same preface across all of the VM domains including the legacy ones.

Also once an email address is deleted it cannot be recreated.  The system will tell you that it already exists.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham_A for the correction.

(confusion of the dot .)

yes I agree I was wrong, I assumed wrongly that someone had used my email address with a different extension (but it was virgin  blocking the address already used by myself), I checked by verify-email.org and there is only one version confirming your statement thanks.

Also the other version of my email is not found, however the version exactly the same but with "no dot" can exist and I have set that up in my secondary email @virginmedia.com

In gmail for example the dot is not recognised, but virgin do recognise the dot, so the only difference is the dot between first name and surname and the email extension.

so-

your.name@ntlworld.com (dotted exists in my case) , yourname@ntlworld.com (undotted does not exist in my case), yourname@virginmedia.com (undotted can exist)   your.name@virginmedia.com (dotted can not  exist)

also checked to see if there was an undotted version of my ntlworld email, there is not, but it is  worth reserving the undotted version as a new virginmedia.com email version of my email address, so others can not choose that one so it is unique.

I then own your.name123@ntlworld.com and also  yourname123@virginmedia.com

as new version of the @ntlworld.com can not be created then the undotted version can not exist or be created.

Also thanks for clarifying deleted emails can not be re-used.

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Secondary email accounts

secondary email account addresses

(a dotty issue)

One advantage of setting up a secondary email address is that it probably will not be spammed and being new not on distribution lists.

Also by using a similar email name but missing out the dot and replacing ntlworld.com with virginmedia .com means you have an up to date email address similar to your old one, but without all the spam difficulties so a clean inbox and useful as an alternative email address or to change over form primary to secondary, so the two similar email addresses exist with different extensions, one dotted, the other undotted  and either can be used, often handy to have multiple email address but could decide to ditch the old ntlworld.com address, I no longer use it now.

your.name123@ntlworld.com (dotted exists in my case)  old out of date address dating back to the days of NTL prior to Virgin

yourname123@virginmedia.com (undotted can exist)- so you have an up to date address if required.

It may be the opposite way round if the original address had no dots, but in the early days NTL used dots in the address, I have read that dots are not favoured these days, Gmail for instance ditched the dot and now ignore the dot or capitals. It is not easy over the phone explaining your email has a dot in it, and some accounts do not like the dot in emails, and similar issues with some email addresses being case sensitive and others not.

Not sure if virgin email are case sensitive or not?

Do virgin advise in email addresses to use, or not use, dots/special characters, hyphens or slashes , underscores etc., capitals, spaces etc. as well as the normal letters and numbers??

Alternatively some may choose a complete different virgin  address to the existing primary email, or allocate addresses to other people/family, I have 5 secondary addresses set up now, some are my wife's all used for different purposes.

alf28

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Secondary email accounts

Email addresses are not case sensitive.

See this external link for an article explaining why: 

https://www.mailigen.com/blog/does-capitalization-matter-in-email-addresses/#:~:text=So%2C%20does%20....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

DELETED EMAIL ADDRESS   -may still be active  

My wife's old secondary email (virginmedia.com) deleted a long time ago is still recognised on several of the email verify sites.

( I have tested the accuracy with other known virgin emails present and past and results are as expected except for my wife's deleted virgin email

used   email hippo and a few different verify-email.org, all say email is active.

It is not found on the virgin web site, the login and password do not work- unrecognised.

The  email verify says it is  an OK email address  vodaphone ziggo, company Ziggo B.V.

On 15 February 2016, British telecommunications company Vodafone announced the merger of their Dutch operations Vodafone Netherlands with Liberty Global, the owner of Ziggo. [14] [15] The deal was closed on 31 December, creating a new parent company for both Ziggo and Vodafone, called VodafoneZiggo , with a 50/50 joint ownership by Liberty Global and Vodafone.

My wife did have a vodaphone mobile in 2004 but the email used with them was a yahoo email.

Is it possible the deleted email has been recycled and now used by ziggo, owned by liberty global who own virgin media??

there is a dutch ziggo website with email login, so  could they be using my wife's old email address???

0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

EMAIL VERIFICATION-update

Established that although virgin servers can be reached by verify email services, email checking is blocked by virgin for some reason, so the results can be misleading.

Some of the email verify results may be invalid for that reason, so unsure if an old email address exists even though some checks indicate it is an OK email address, other checks indicate not valid.

Unless the results of the search are "valid and printed" and shown as OK results may be false as it has not checked the email fully and properly due to virgin  blocking the email searches.

So the searches  on virgin emails do not work properly and may give false results?

Anyway I have now  opened a secondary email address for my wife with the "undotted version" of her original virginmedia.com email address that was deleted a while back, that has been accepted.

emails with dots  (periods)  are valid and would be a different account to the same email without a dot (period)

see - What are the rules for email address syntax? – Validity Help Center (returnpath.com)

Some companies such as gmail ignore the dot (period) and scammers can use this to fool companies using spoofed email with dots so an unsuspecting invoice may land be sent to a customer with no dot (period) in the email, so the dot (period) can be miss-used.

I myself was receiving email from another person of the same name on a gmail account, so aware of such problems.

So in virgin mail it is possible to have to identical email addresses  but one has a dot (period), these are separate accounts

so you could have your.name123@virginmedia.com and yourname123@virginmedia.com-          two separate accounts

Not sure if this happens, but is possible, or if they sometimes would get each other's emails due to typing error's of omitting the dot or putting a dot in.

All my emails have no dots (periods) just letters and numbers, except for my primary virgin email address which date back 20 years, I find dots in emails a nuisance so now avoid them, but suppose adding unusual characters make the email harder to guess that just using you name in letters or with a number.

alf28

0 Kudos