cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondary Email Account Locked

mingsy
Up to speed

I have 4 email accounts with Virgin Media. As of today one of them displays the following error in Outlook '0x800CCC92 - authentication fails'. When logging onto VM webmail it says the 'account is locked' and guides me to change my password which makes no difference. Of the 4 accounts this is the only one that uses the POP server but I've no idea if that is relevant.

9 REPLIES 9

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mingsy No it shouldn't make a difference if you are using the pop or IMAP protocols.

Unlocking VM email accounts has become rather complicated recently.

Each email account now requires a different third party email address to be set as the username for the email account.  In addition in order to access the email address from an email client using POP3 or IMAP you need to follow the VM procedure to create a generated app password to use with the email client.

Recent reports suggest that changing the webmail password alone isn't sufficient to unlock a mailbox but generating an app password should unlock the account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

mingsy
Up to speed

Hi Graham,

Thank you for your reply. I'm unsure what you mean by 'generating an app password'?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have a look at this help page: How to manage my email account | Virgin Media Help  particularly the section headed: 

How to set up my Virgin Media email on a device

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

mingsy
Up to speed

Thanks again Graham. So far I have changed my main account log-in email and created an app password for it. That all works. I then try to repeat the process for the secondary account by:

1. entering the secondary email address
  2. selecting 'Forgotten Password'
  3. I enter the secondary email address again but get the message below:

You can’t reset your password online right now, as you don’t have additional details set up on your account.

To reset your password, please contact us and one of our team will help you.

If I access VM via the main log-in and go to account settings and select 'Mailbox App password management' I get an error which says 'Oops, looks like something's gone wrong on our side. Please try again' and this continually fails.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mingsy The VM Forum Team staff should be able to assist you with this secondary account.  It will be less painful than following the phone help option.

They should respond here tomorrow.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi mingsy,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Sorry to see that you're currently experiencing issues with gaining access your secondary email.

So we can investigate the matter further I've dropped you a PM to discuss further.

The message will appear within the envelope icon.

Regards,

Kain

mingsy
Up to speed

This has been resolved by Kain after a password reset.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for your cooperation over PM mingsy,

I'm glad we were able to resolve the matter for yourself.

If you do have any future queries then be sure to pop back up to the team for further assistance.

All the best,

Kain

Gentlemen
Joining in

Hi Iam having a issue to login into second and third ntl email accounts as well both email adds shows ""The entered credential or authentication information does not work or are no longer accepted by provider. Please change them.""

can someone advise what to do please..

Thanks

Gentlemen