Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: SMTP not working

@russlock1 

I'm really sorry I've not been in this thread for so long, I have family issues going on right now, so the Forum has very much taken a back seat for me lately as it is.

@Emma_C I'm not sure how much you know about the email system, but let me assure you that the SMTP servers are working quite well at the moment, so I do think that anyone dropping into the thread does need to be thinking about asking the right questions about now.

I will offer evidence to support my assertion - find below the transcript of an openssl s_client session with smtp.virginmedia.com, which I took as far as authenticating with AUTH PLAIN before quitting the session.

PS C:\Users\timdu_000\OneDrive\PS-Scripts> openssl s_client -connect smtp.virginmedia.com:465 -quiet
depth=1 C = BE, O = GlobalSign nv-sa, CN = AlphaSSL CA - SHA256 - G2
<< 220 know-smtprelay-8-imp cmsmtp ESMTP server ready
>> ehlo desktop
<< 250-know-smtprelay-8-imp hello [86.140.xxx.xxx], pleased to meet you
<< 250-HELP
<< 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
<< 250-SIZE 52000000
<< 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
<< 250-PIPELINING
<< 250-8BITMIME
<<250 OK
>> auth plain
<< 334
>> <Plain AUTH string redacted>
<< 235 2.7.0 ... authentication succeeded
>> rset
<< 250 2.0.0 OK
>> quit
<< 221 2.0.0 know-smtprelay-8-imp cmsmtp closing connection

Note: this was done from my parents TalkTalk connection - but it was also working from my home Virgin Media connection as well.

The chevron's indicate the direction of traffic:

>> from me to the server
<< replies from the server back to me.

What we see:

A successful greeting between client and server followed by me passing my username and password in a PLAIN AUTH string with the server accepting my username and password.  I could at this point have gone on to send a test email, but opted to end the connection at this point as many of the earlier issues were authentication related.

What needs to happen from the Forum Team's point of view.

If you are dipping in to one of these threads, then it's time to start asking questions of the user rather than simply referring them to the thread above.  While this is indeed a known problem - any ongoing issues are not going to be solved without engaging properly with users and where necessary escalating the problem.  If you need help understanding why please feel free to drop me a PM with any questions.  Lets work together to try and get the user the result that they came to the Forum to achieve.

@russlock1 - With this in mind I need to know what error messages you are seeing when you try to send an email.  If you are using Outlook or Thunderbird see here about enabling logging to get at the actual errors returned by the server:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

Tim

@Kev_B - I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here - I believe in calling a spade a spade, but I do genuinely want to help Emma and anyone else improve their knowledge, only by working together can we get these issues resolved.  It's about time everyone (Forum Team, Phone Support, SU's and other users) stopped simply calling this a known server issue.  The fault has never been with the SMTP servers themselves and many people have been able to send without issue even when the My VirginMedia access was down (myself included), so it's not a complete failure of the LDAP backend either.

Lets all work together and solve all of this.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I have again (just to be certain) changed my email password in https://my.virginmedia.com/my-profile/view

i have then changed the password correctly in outlook 2010. It will not send a test email.

when i create an email from my email account that is not working and send to an alternative virginmedia address i have, i continually get the "Email not sent"

the message i have in the log is as follows.

<rx> 535 5.7.8 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)

just to confirm, i can receive emails to this address, just not send any.

any ideas anyone ?

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@ModTeam 

I think it’s time for someone to ask the questions needed to raise this further.

@russlock1 Just to confirm, if you go into the account settings and more settings is the Outgoing server definitely set up to use the same username and password as incoming?

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi russlock1,

I do apologise that you're still experiencing difficulty using your email account. I'd like to clear account security with you so I can investigate thoroughly.

I'll send you a private message for this purpose, please head to the purple envelope in the top right corner to respond.

Thanks,

Rachael

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

yes @ravenstar68

@ravenstar68 wrote:

@ModTeam 

I think it’s time for someone to ask the questions needed to raise this further.

@russlock1 Just to confirm, if you go into the account settings and more settings is the Outgoing server definitely set up to use the same username and password as incoming?

Tim

, see attached. Thanks.

Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_3.png
Screenshot_4.png

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I thought that might be the case, but I like to ask as assumption is often the mother of all screw ups.

So to sum up everything:

Can receive fine
Same username and password is used for sending as receiving.but you are still getting VM300 error
Change of password at my.virginmedia.com has not managed to fix problem

There's not much else for anyone but Virgin Media to offer here.  I trust you have replied to the PM you've been sent.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

yes, have replied to PM, just awaiting answer, but thanks for all the efforts, it is really appreciated.
0 Kudos