Menu
rnewfie999
Dialled in
Message 31 of 75
Flag for a moderator

Re: SMTP Outgoing (Very) Slow

Just to add to the mix, I have been seeing this problem for a few weeks now - I can't be more specific, but at least 3 weeks.

Nearly every time I send using Outlook on Windows 8.1 there is a delay of 40 to 45 seconds. The emails can be plain text, html, with or without attachments - makes no difference.

I am using smtp.virginmedia.com on port 465 using SSL.

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 32 of 75
Flag for a moderator

Good afternoon @KVoice

After reading though the post, It dose seem as though we are going to need to report this to our IT team.  As there are multiple people having issues with the same SMTP. 

I am going to drop you a PM with some information that we require. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
DG21Essex
Tuning in
Message 33 of 75
Flag for a moderator

I have had the same problem of very slow sending out smtp emails since December.  Doesn't matter whether the email is short or long, sending times vary a lot.

I did spot just one email (out of many hundreds) that did go quickly.

Latest version of Thunderbird and W7 professional.

DG21Essex

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 34 of 75
Flag for a moderator

Hello DG21Essex

Thanks for your post 

Sorry to hear about the delays in SMTP 

Is this still causing you an issue?

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
jonmanning
Tuning in
Message 35 of 75
Flag for a moderator

Gareth_L it is still just the same here - probably a 10 second delay in sending.  Psychologically it seems longer.

w10 and Thunderbird 78.6.0

Cheers

Jon

0 Kudos
rnewfie999
Dialled in
Message 36 of 75
Flag for a moderator

"Is this still causing you an issue?"

I am just wondering why you ask that!

Do you think it has been fixed, just hoping that the problem has 'gone away', or hoping that people have given up reporting problems.

In my experience, I have never followed a post on VMC which has actually been fixed.

PS - As of today, I still get delays of 40 to 45 seconds on EVERY transmission. It cannot be beyond the wit of man to investigate this, given that so many people are experiencing this problem.

What has VM done so far to fix, or even investigate, this problem?

KVoice
On our wavelength
Message 37 of 75
Flag for a moderator

In response to the previous posting - above - from rnewfie999 --- I completely agree!  I am the originator of this thread reporting slow SMTP outgoing email and this issue does remain unresolved. As rnewfie999 rightly observes, this matter has not been addressed adequately by Virgin, and the issue has certainly not gone away. For myself, and for the good people above me who have joined in this thread, we still await patiently for an encouraging if not an impressive response by Virgin Media. Come on chaps.

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 38 of 75
Flag for a moderator

Hello DG21Essex

So I can look into this in a bit more detail

I will need to send you a private message to get account details

As soon as I have an update I shall update the thread so all can see

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
kweibye
Tuning in
Message 39 of 75
Flag for a moderator

To Gareth_L of the Forum team:

Your reply and request for account details is total nonsense.  The problem has been very clearly described in 4 pages of posts, plain enough for even Boris to follow.  The short of it is that many users experience slow e-mail sending via Virgin's SMTP server, Windows, Apple, Linux, Android, Thunderbird, BlueMail etc.  I had seen a little improvement in late December, but it's back to 45 seconds or so if I re-try.  Mostly I use another SMTP server because VM can't (so far) fix this.  The user's account details will not help you, unless want it from all those with the problem...?

/ Karl.

0 Kudos
KVoice
On our wavelength
Message 40 of 75
Flag for a moderator

To Kweibye above. Well said Kweibye! I too was asked to supply my account details in an exactly worded request as used by Gareth_L above. I dutifully replied over a couple of weeks ago and heard nothing in reply, not even an acknowledgement, only silence. Kweibye hits the nail on the head: there's plenty of evidence in this thread. Don't play for time VM. Just address the problem and let us know what you have found. I first reported this SMTP problem on the first day of December 2020. Now I have two things to look forward to in 2021. My jab of the Oxford vaccine; and resolution of this SMTP problem by Virgin. I don't know which of these will arrive first. But I hope I'll still be above ground to witness the latter.

0 Kudos