cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retrieve emails after hack

Blackbird73
Joining in

Hi

My wife's virginmedia account hacked recently. Password changed with help from Steven_L. Now finds emails not coming through and is due to 'redirected' having been activated and is being sent to outlook account which she didn't have. I'm asking microsoft to activate it which takes 24 hours so that we can see what has been redirected with a view to retrieving the lost emails. Is this sensible? Is there a better way of getting the emails back?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Blackbird73 wrote:

My wife's virginmedia account hacked recently. Password changed with help from Steven_L. Now finds emails not coming through and is due to 'redirected' having been activated and is being sent to outlook account which she didn't have. I'm asking microsoft to activate it which takes 24 hours so that we can see what has been redirected with a view to retrieving the lost emails. Is this sensible? Is there a better way of getting the emails back?

That you found emails not coming through points to the miscreant's redirect not keeping a copy, i.e. received email is redirect and then permanently deleted from account's mailbox. Under these circumstances the missing emails cannot be recovered (AFAIK).

It is unlikely Microsoft will help retrieve any forwarded emails; best you can hope for is they delete the recipient's account.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Log into your account by webmail. You then have direct access to everything in your email account without going through a third party. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

The hacker created the outlook account hence we don't have password to access it. What do you mean by logging in with webmail?

Set your browser to https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  This goes straight to Virgin's email server.

If this password has been hacked then you will have to wait for formum staff to pick up this tread and help.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Blackbird73 wrote:

That you found emails not coming through points to the miscreant's redirect not keeping a copy, i.e. received email is redirect and then permanently deleted from account's mailbox. Under these circumstances the missing emails cannot be recovered (AFAIK).

It is unlikely Microsoft will help retrieve any forwarded emails; best you can hope for is they delete the recipient's account.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Sololobo
Superstar

As already stated, Microsoft will not provide you with access to an email address which you don't own.

You should follow all the instructions provided here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/security/why-is-my-virgin-media-email-hacked change your password, security question and answer, check any unknown auto forwarding settings and remove them.

Virgin Media only provide an email service to legacy customers as a "value added" service. It's becoming an afterthought for them, is poorly supported and becoming more and more unfit for purpose.

For the best and safest outcome set up a non ISP provided email email service and migrate to that ASAP.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.