cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retirement of NTLworld email addresses

ahmurray
On our wavelength

Hi all,

One of the email addresses on our account has been problematic recently and we've lost access a couple of times.  We called tech support and they've reset it each time, but just now the VM lady said that NTLWorld email addresses were being retired and this was why, and we needed to migrate any important emails over immediately.  I questioned this as it's the first I've heard of it, she said an email was sent out last April to notify customers.  

We are still active customers but both still use ntlworld addresses simply because as long standing customers we had so many accounts set up using them it was always going to be a massive headache to change.  I need access to the account for password resets if I forget my password for websites.

I'm aware that Virgin Media are archiving orphaned ntlworld accounts and also that there have been problems with accessing mailboxes recently, which is all fine.  But I can't believe they are actively retiring all ntlworld email addresses, even for current customers, which is what the VM rep told me tonight?

If this happened surely we'd get months of notice and frequent reminders, not just a single email that neither of us saw?  It's going to cause me chaos if I can't verify my identity using that account that I've registered on hundreds of websites over many years.

I've googled this trying to find out more and can't see any reference to it happening, so I'm increasingly convinced that I've been misinformed (which I'd actually prefer to it being true!)

Can anyone in the know confirm either way what is going on please?

30 REPLIES 30

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @ahmurray,

Thank you for coming back to us in regards to your mailbox issue. I'm sorry to hear that this has been your experience with us recently.

Can you please try to reset your mailbox password by following the "Forgotten Password" option? Please reset your password to something completely new that you have never used before. Then wait at least 10 minutes before you try accessing your mailbox.

Please give this a try and let us know if this helped. If not, we'll be able to look into this for you further.

Thank you,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

It is not nonsense as my wife’s email has been cancelled with no notice. Mine still gets forwarded but hers is now inaccessible. 

I was told exactly the same that ntlworld emails had been cancelled and any left would be.

I am now actively looking to leave VM as the only reason I put up with previous problems was the fast broadband and our ntl email addresses.

My wife lost all her emails just over a week ago. VM logged it as a complain when I called and since then I have had a number of identical computer generated emails all saying the same thing and that I should contact the…they cannot call me for some unknown rerason.

When I call I get on the automated loop!

Hi Davides,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, we are sorry to hear your wife hasn't been able to access her emails for over a week, there has recently been issues with Emails being unavailable and locked, please have a look here, if this doesn't help I will be happy to look into this for you, I will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to start if needed?

Regards

Paul. 

Poor_Dog
On our wavelength

Hello

I too have just lost access to an additional NTLWorld email address, on my active virgin media account. I've tried the suggestion to change its password, wait 10 minutes and try again, but to no avail.

VM Customer Services tell me that all their email services are ending (ntlworld, blue yonder, and VM addresses) and that we have to move to another provider.

Is this true?

UPDATE. I have now been able to log in to web mail for the additional account, but still cannot access it through the Mail programs (Mac, iPad, phone)

ahmurray
On our wavelength

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat??????????  Did they really tell you that?  VM email addresses being retired too?

It seems like there is a competition on at VM HQ as to who can make up the most outlandish and alarming stuff to tell customers!

I really can't believe that one is true, but still have concerns about the legacy email addresses, please could those who have posted here with access to official sources please provide some reassurances?

Thanks

Perhaps they have decided to archive the accounts- mine has stopped working and it is used as my main email...

Two days later mine started to work normally again, and continues to do so.

The two days I spent changing my email address on innumerable accounts was a complete waste of time

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @paddypaws01

I'm so sorry to hear this, I appreciate this must be frustrating and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

Are you getting the mailbox unavailable error? If so, please follow the advice outlined in this thread

If this doesn't help resolve things, please let us know and we'll assist further. 

Thanks,

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Help! I have lost my ntlworld email, I am not a VM customer but have had my email for years - how do I get it back