Menu
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Manage email filters

EMAIL FILTERS ODD BEHAVIOUR

I have filters set up, but they are behaving oddly the last few days in my primary account, the filters are sending emails to the wrong folders.

I was using rejex filters to whitelist my contacts to the inbox and changed them to single filters, but the issue did not resolve.

No problem with my secondary email account, so will add it to thunderbird to see if the same thing happens

Not sure why, but  I also use thunderbird to read emails in Windows 10, and perhaps it clashes with the VM filtering.

Also, the time stamp on received emails in some cases is different in Thunderbird by as much as 12 hours earlier.

It may be  possible thunderbird is detecting spam and moving to spam folder but usually that is a manual operation.

I filter out the spam and ignore spam, but of late some of my good emails are going to spam even though not tagged spam.

Not sure if there is a fault with VM email filters. Also, I am getting some very strange scam emails, which may be a hacker at work.

I also get newsletters that have my email address, but I am not registered with the company and the emails may not be genuine and come via SendGrid or similar bulk mailers, I have a few of these coming which is odd.

I will review what is happening and update later. I had to move the good emails from the spam folder to the inbox, spam is deleted after 30 days, so could lose good emails by going to spam.

I have updated my account password.

alf28

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

EMAIL FILTERING ODD BEHAVIOR-SOLVED

I have solve this issue myself this morning after much testing.

Sent 7  x test emails to myself in order  to check out my email setting-filters and they were not working- but have found the issue- my whitelist filter had toggled to the wrong filter rule setting by itself (not changed by myself?)

apply rule if all conditions are met

should be -

apply rule if any condition is met

Took a while for me to find this, I did not suspect this because my filtering was working perfect previously and I have not modified any filters recently so how this setting altered is not explained?

This only affected my primary account, my secondary account was OK. To do the test I had to include my own email address in the "from" condition( inbox whitelist) and added "subject" test also to make sure it was picked up.

The unusual fault first occured on 20/6/2021  but was random  so I will watch this to see if it occurs again. 

I do not think the fault is related to using the Thunderbird email client  ( as first thought) as it was a wrong setting in my virgin web mail primary account filter settings.

alf28

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

FILTER SETTINGS-udate

apply rule if all conditions are met

or

apply rule if any condition is met

If you add a second condition to an exisitng filter and do not select apply any condition, otherside it will require all conditions for the filter to work.

If  any condition is selected for more than one condition, but a condition is then removed, it may revert back to all apply all conditions, then if another condition is added back in it will remain on apply rule if all conditions are met and could cause unexpected filtering mis-haps.

That is the possible cause of some apparant filter malfunctons, so simpler to use one filter for each condition or rejex and if using multiple conditions in one filter make sure the apply any condition is ticked, the apply to all conditions might be used to create  a filter that only kicks in if ther are two or more condtions to be met such a several key words in body or subject etc, I have never used that.

So very easy to get caught out with this setting- it happened to me and may explain why others have had filter problems.

alf28

Tags (1)