Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot Send Emails From Blueyonder Account!

Hello I appear to have exactly the same problem as this gentleman!

please can somebody help me?

I cannot send emails from my secondary (blueyonder) email account anymore from any device, whether it be a pc or a mac or an iOS device.

My primary email account behaves perfectly on any device. Sadly I have never really used that account and have been happily using my secondary account as my main email address for at least a decade now.

However if I log into the VM email portal I have no problem at all sending emails.

I have spent most of the afternoon and this evening being passed from pillar to post by various departments all of whom deny it is anything to to with VM and it must be a software issue and have ended up being passed to the gadget rescue team (and being charged for the pleasure). It’s obvious to me that it isn’t an email setting issue, as I have exactly the same issue regardless of the software or device.

Unsurprisingly the rescue team have drawn a blank, despite having two of their support staff trying to remotely change various outbound email settings and have the smtp server reject my email address every time. Which Is especially frustrating when you have already done everything they are trying.

It definitely feels as if my email address has been blocked or is unrecognised by the outgoing VM server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Tamzine

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 61
Flag for a moderator

I've actually moved this to it's own topic.  It was very nearly deleted based on your second post in the thread.

In future please create a new topic with your problem rather than appending to someone else's.

Are you able to see any error messages when sending your mail?

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Me too. Unable to send blueyonder emails from phone or iPad. 

@ravenstar68 wrote:

I've actually moved this to it's own topic.  It was very nearly deleted based on your second post in the thread.

In future please create a new topic with your problem rather than appending to someone else's.

Are you able to see any error messages when sending your mail?

Tim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 61
Flag for a moderator

@bluegrunt 

What part of create a new topic do you not understand?

Adding to other peoples topics simply causes confusion.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for posting in the wrong place, forums are a bit of new thing for me. 

Yes I did get error messages when I was using smtp.blueyonder.co.uk, but I can’t really remember what they were. However once I changed all of my settings to the VM approved smtp.virginmedia.com etc and added ssl and password authentication to the outgoing server as well I stopped getting numerical error messages. Now depending on what email client I get a variation of

”login to server smtp.virginmedia.com with username xxxxxxx@blueyonder.co.uk failed”

then under that I get the option of retrying, entering a new password or just cancelling (Thunderbird)

On an iOS device it just tells me that “the username or password for xxxxxxx@blueyonder.co.uk is incorrect”

I currently have another rescue team member remotely controlling my pc they have been at it since 9.38am this morning. Honestly they are hopeless. It’s like pulling teeth!

Anyway any thoughts would be great fully received.

Tamzine 

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 61
Flag for a moderator

@YamYam 

Can you have a look at my advice about SMTP logging in Thunderbird here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

It would be very useful to find out what the specific SMTP error message is.  Post back here with the error code.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Thanks!

Will do as soon as the A team have finished!)

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I re read your thread - what the hell are Gadget rescue doing on your PC that they've been there from 09:38 to 13:52 (unless it's running a virus scan :()

Seriously it wouldn't take me anywhere near that long to get to the bottom of an email problem.

TIm

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 61
Flag for a moderator

An excellent question! And one I have asked them a few times. No they are not running a virus scan. They are well....ineffectually messing about with my smtp settings. It was fairly obvious to me days ago this wasn’t software issue, but VM point blank refuse to acknowledge that it is anything else and keep sending me to these guys. Currently the poor sap at the other end of this is saying he is currently facing a shortage in the blueyonder at the moment. Make of that what you will.

I was just hoping some grown up from VM would pick up my problem on the forum and stop this madness in its tracks. Hence my original posting in the topic that had the fella who’s email had been disabled in a backend server. He had exactly the problem I had.

Anyway, thank you for being dismayed on my behalf!)

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 61
Flag for a moderator

If they're still messing around with your SMTP settings after 7 hours, they're not going to fix it.

Why don't you ask them to help you implement my advice about getting the error code instead?

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks