Very Insightful Person
Message 31 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problem with outlook

@janniz wrote:

C:\Users\janet>telnet mail.cablecomb.com 993
'telnet' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Telnet is not installed in your operating system so cannot help establish fault with the host provider.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
janniz
On our wavelength
Message 32 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Tim/Howard

This is what I get when I do a nslookup

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.418]
(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\janet>nslookup mail.csi.co.uk
Server: cache1.service.virginmedia.net
Address: 194.168.4.100

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: mail.csi.co.uk
Address: 79.170.40.114

C:\Users\janet>nslookup mail.cablecomb.com
Server: cache1.service.virginmedia.net
Address: 194.168.4.100

Name: mail.cablecomb.com
Address: 79.170.40.151

Does this tell you anything?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 33 of 57
Flag for a moderator

It means you either mistyped the server name in the tracert command or whatever was causing the DNS lookup to fail has cleared.

I'd probably lean towards a mistype - heaven knows I do it enough myself on occasion.  The nslookup has returned the same IP address both Howard and I got.

C:\Users\timdu_000>nslookup mail.cablecomb.com
Server:  localhost			Host name of DNS resolver
Address:  ::1				IP address of DNS resolver

Name:    mail.cablecomb.com		Answer name
Address:  79.170.40.151			Answer IP address

The above shows the result of the nslookup with an explanation of each line.

We all get the same IP address here - so there's not currently a DNS issue either.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 34 of 57
Flag for a moderator

@janniz 

I'm going to lay my cards on the table here.

I explained previously that the answer lay with your mail provider.  The tracert you gave early in this thread proved it 100%.

Please understand - we are not Virgin Media employees - we have no interest in fobbing you off here.  If this was a Virgin Media problem, then I would genuinely say so and I would also urge the @ModTeam to escalate this thread.  I am making them aware of what's happening, as at the very least someone could pop in and offer guidance, but to be honest they would tell you exactly the same thing that I am telling you.

I run my own mail server, and I take pride in the advice I give - I am rarely wrong, and when I am it's usually because someones failed to provide evidence that has been asked for..  I have on occasion escalated a number of connection issues caused by virus safe, but yours is definitely NOT one of those.

I will repeat what I have said before, and what Howard has also stated.

This is not blocking by Virgin Media - I am 100% confident in this.

You need to go back to your mail provider and be polite but firm.  Please don't rip them a new one.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
janniz
On our wavelength
Message 35 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Ok, thanks Tim, so I should wait to hear what the ESP comes back with then.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 36 of 57
Flag for a moderator

looking though this thread the users are correct. This is 100% your email provider.

they are blocking your IP address. This means any devices on your home network. Wireless or wired will be blocked.

Your devices on any other connection will work.

100% your email provider blocking this. You need to give them your public IP and tell them to unblock it.

They are the only people that can fix this.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 37 of 57
Flag for a moderator

@janniz 

To be honest I'm amazed that this has been going on since 19th August.  Any competent email provider should IMHO consider the possibility of an IP block given the the symptoms given.

I will stress that Virgin Media DO NOT deliberately block mail servers.  While they do have some web blocks in place as mandated by court order to prevent access to torrenting sites, these are web blocks, not mail server blocks.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 38 of 57
Flag for a moderator

I share ravenstar68's concerns and given the traceroute information posted earlier in the thread here it is troubling to read what your “host guy” said, more so when you are unsure what “things” he is coming to checkout next week.

@janniz wrote:

My host server guy said that he has several clients on the same server, using VM as their ISP, and they do not have the same problem.  He still thinks its a Virgin problem.  I don't know who to believe, I just want it sorted.  He has suggested changing hosts to see what happens.  He is coming to us next week to check other things out (not sure what).

Should he still insist the problem lies with Virgin Media ask him:

• why your traceroute terminated at a GoDaddy controlled IP address range?
    for this to occur network traffic must have left Virgin Media's network so they cannot be interfering with it

• does GoDaddy provide the hosting infrastructure that he has hosted you with?
    this is where your traceroute ends

• does Heart Internet provide your hosted services?
    this is where traceroutes run by others here have ended; the IP address 79.170.40.151 is controlled by Heart Internet Ltd

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 39 of 57
Flag for a moderator

I did have a look at the registry entry and it looks like the registrar is Enom.  Although it is interesting that Enom and Heart Internets seem to be worded in a very similar manner.

Incidentally both their email settings pages say to turn SSL off and use Ports 110 or 143 for POP3 and IMAP respectively and either ports 25 or 587 for SMTP.

Doing a little digging (i.e. by attempting to connect) with the mail server in question does show that is supports TLS encryption on ports 995 and 993 and StartTLS encryption on port 587

I'd be interested to know what email settings your email host recommends that you use.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

janniz
On our wavelength
Message 40 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tim

Just by a miracle after almost 2 months, emails came back into Outlook this morning.  Now it has an error code which says "0x800CCC80 none of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server"

The ports we use are 110 and 25 and it logs onto the server, but cannot send a test email.

What does this mean?

Thanks

Janet

0 Kudos