Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

OUTLOOK smtp password prompt, spamhaus blocking

Im using outlook,  I can receive emails fine but keep getting the login box pop up from smtp.virginmedia.com.  

looked on spamhaus after advice and tried to delist,  email reponse was

If this has already been fixed, them this listing will likely expire shortly.

Your IP appears to have been detected spamming very recently, there is a distinct possibility that your machine has been compromised by virus.
Or, if this is a router, a machine behind that router or the router itself.

At this time we do not have a sample which could help you identify the cause.

Assuming that you find and fix the problem, please request removal explaining what virus/problem you found.

Started on 21st around 0700 GMT
Seen every 3 to 4 days since.

2019.07.29 23:13:07 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): [tx] AUTH LOGIN
2019.07.29 23:13:07 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): <rx> 334 XXXXXXXXXX
2019.07.29 23:13:07 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): [tx] XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX==
2019.07.29 23:13:07 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): <rx> 334 XXXXXXXXXX
2019.07.29 23:13:07 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): [tx] *****
2019.07.29 23:13:12 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): <rx> 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305)
2019.07.29 23:13:12 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): Retrying authorization
2019.07.29 23:13:37 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): Disconnected from host

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: OUTLOOK smtp password prompt, spamhaus blocking

This current thread will help you sort this one out. Your home IP is likely compromised. That is what the the VM 305 error means when it is boiled down to its essentials. Something on your system is sending spam, likely you have malware. Once you clear the infection you will be able to apply to Spamhaus for delisting

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Can-t-send-email-via-home-WiFi/td-p/4032042

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi HowardML,

thanks for the link.

I have already ran eset antivirus and malware bytes on my computer and my phone. and nothing was found

the only other thing on my home network is my security cameras an xbox one and a Nvidea shield.  as far as im aware none of these devices are capable of sending spam emails ?

any other ideas please ?

how can I even tell which device is supposedly sending these spam emails when spamhous don't provide any information

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You can apply for delisting and hope the original listing was a false positive (though I doubt that).

As the listing is in real time if Spamhaus detects nothing for 24 hours you should be OK. But if you don't identify the source of the problem (something from your devices must be triggered Spamhaus alerts) you will get relisted again.

As your devices operate behind your public IP only you will be able to identify which of them might be sending spam.

You are sending from the VM network, aren't you?

This not a VM problem though VM are unusual in checking against the sending IP. But the logic is clear it is a spam protection measure for the rest of the network.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos