Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ntlworld email hacked

I have an old ntlworld email account that is linked to my new email . I keep getting emails about password reset requests forwarded to my new email for a few accounts that I still use my ntlworld email on . I have changed most of these now to my new email but want to close my old ntlworld email , as it seems that it has been hacked How do I go about this ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ntlworld email hacked

You have come to the right place, Sarah1764.  I am going to assume you are NOT a current VM broadband customer.  Please advise if I am wrong as the advice changes.

As you may know, the mailbox should have been closed AND deleted automatically 90 days after you finished being a customer, according to VM's own Terms and Conditions. But the process fails all too often and leaves the former customer vulnerable to hacking and theft of personal and financial details (IMO, someone should definitely claim for damages from VM or complain to ICO!).

Only VM staff can raise a ticket to get the orphaned mailboxes deleted manually. The friendly Forum Team will visit this thread in the next few days and then take your personal details by private message.

When they say it is done, you can verify it is gone by running the email address(es) through https://mailtester.com.

In the meantime, if you still have access via an email client (try Thunderbird - using IMAP process which synchronises with the mailbox stored on the VM server), delete everything from all the folders to reduce the information available to hackers.

Best wishes to you.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

HI Sarah1764,

Thanks for your post, I'm very sorry to hear that you've been having email issues. @MissPasko, would be correct that if this is an email without an active VM account attached then we will be able to get this mailbox closed for you. Are you able to confirm? 

Cheers,

Corey C

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi

The account the email was associated with was closed in April 2017 when I moved house. I have a current virgin account for a mobile phone but that’s on my new email.

thank you

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying, Sarah1764

If there isn't an active Virgin Media account attached then I can get it deleted. Please ensure that you aren't using the email for any other purpose, such as using it as a log-in to other sites or services, because once it's removed you may not be able to log into those sites or update your details on those sites.

I'll send you a PM shortly so I can get your details to close the mailbox.

Cheers,

Corey C

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying, Sarah1764.

I've submitted the request for the mailbox to be closed, [ref#P009992092] This should be done within the next 72 hours.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That’s great thank you so much 

regards

Sarah

0 Kudos