Menu
SUZI23
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Now 3 days without the email account I have had for 18 years

Earlier this week I suddenly could not access my email account. I called and spoke to lady who told me that a suspicious 3rd party forwarding rule had been added and the email account had been blocked. I changed my password and then it let me in however an hour later it shut down again. Called again yesterday and spent 45 minutes on the phone before a lady told me she would have to pass it on and somebody would call me today . In the meantime I have sent up a new email address but desperately need access to my original one . Has anybody else shad this problem ?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Now 3 days without the email account I have had for 18 years

@SUZI23 wrote

Has anybody else shad this problem ?

Sadly it has been reported many times. ☹️

The Forum Team (VM employees) can at  least check the progress of the ticket that was raised as a result of your most recent call to VM. They will respond via this thread in a day or so.

In cases where your email account has been closed because it has been accessed by someone else, resetting the password may well allow you to regain access but it is not enough to secure your account from being hacked again. If your account was shut down just an hour after it was reopened was because there was evidence of further hacking activity it confirms my point doesn't it?

Strangely, the VM agents  never seem to advise customers such as yourself to follow  VM's own advice given here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked   If you follow all the advice in that help sheet you will have made your VM account as secure as you can.  However, in my opinion, that is still not enough.

That advice does include checking that no auto forward has been set but you should also check that no filter rules have been set. It is in the same menu as the Auto Forward - just click on Filter Rules. Hackers often set rules to autoforward emails from specific senders, Amazon for example. So they may well have accessed other online accounts you have.

Therefore you also need to check any online accounts such as Amazon and eBay for any fraudulent activity. Scammers often hack an email account to use in conjunction with these related online accounts.

Because of that risk I would strongly advise using a more secure email service than that offered by VM.  Gmail and Outlook.com at least offer 2 Factor Authentication which provides another level of security for hackers to overcome before they can access your account. Keep your VM account for social contacts by all means but for anything important use a dedicated email service.

I hope that's all useful information. 😐

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
SUZI23
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Never did get the promised call but 1 week later I logged in and found my original email had been reinstated !

0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi @SUZI23

Thanks for posting back on here and sorry to hear that this has occurred. 

Just to clarify with this, when you say your original email has been reinstated does this mean that you can now access your emails again? If not we are more than happy to take a look into this but please do let us know. 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos