cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving emails from o2

edwright
Tuning in

I've been expecting some emails from o2 to my ntlworld email address and they've not been coming through.  O2 insist that the emails have been sent to the correct address and that all is OK from their end.

I've check my own email account and I have no rules or settings to block any emails at all.

There doesn't seem to be anywhere I can make contact with Virgin to check this issue out...hence posting here!

Has anyone else had similar issues and if so did/how did they get resolved?

41 REPLIES 41

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ravenstar68 wrote:

Never mind - I think I see the problem - see my edit above.

That's good because the "Forward as an attachment" option seems to disappeared from Gmail. 🤔

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ravenstar68 wrote:

Edit - I'll tell you what I do see that's not helping o2

Thanks, I can see the issue now. 🙂

BTW I'll be getting myself a bad name for all sorts of reasons. I just changed my o2 account user name again. This time to an Outlook.com address and as I expected Outlook.com received the verification email fine.

VM do seem to be stricter than most email providers on this.

The one thing that does surprise me is that I cannot find any other threads on the forum reporting non delivery of emails from o2. Perhaps there  has been a recent change either at the o2 end or. more likely I suspect, on VM's side?

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have a read of this:

https://glockapps.com/tutorials/improving-email-deliverability-using-mx-spf-ptr-records/#:~:text=Why....

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ravenstar68 wrote:

Have a read of this:

https://glockapps.com/tutorials/improving-email-deliverability-using-mx-spf-ptr-records/#:~:text=Why....

Many thanks Tim. I have read through and copied that article for future reference.

I think I have two views on an issue like this.

On the one hand I cannot deny that it is the responsibility of organisations, such as o2, as email senders to comply with the guidelines / rules of engagement to ensure their emails are recognised and treated as legitimate communications.

However, the old fashioned libertarian in me just baulks at the idea that an email provider is acting as judge and jury on which emails I can and cannot receive.

As I have said many times, I have never used my Ntlworld or Virginmedia email accounts for anything other than communications from VM or for testing purposes on this forum. Personally,I would be happy for VM to flag emails that look suspicious as spam but I do not like the idea that VM simply reject or discard them out of hand. It does not make me think I should start using VM as my main email provider.

As I say, clearly the onus should be on professional organisations to ensure that the emails they send comply with the guidelines / rules and hopefully in this case there will be discussions between VM and o2 which will result in o2 making the necessary changes to enable VM customers to receive emails from o2.

Unfortunately o2's argument may well be that "everyone else accepts our emails so it's VM's problem not ours". Interesting to see how that plays out.

Many thanks for your intervention to identify what is going on with emails from 02.. I cannot help feeling this issue will crop up again.

Coenoby

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I hear you,

However it's not only VM that acts in this way.  As you know I have my own domain which I run from a VPS (Virtual Private Server)  Recently I moved from Ionos to OVH and found that my server was being blocked by Microsoft.

I already comply with things like rDNS etc and my server won't allow sends using third party email addresses, but I hhad to jump through hoops to prove to Microsoft that I was following their rules before they'd lift the block.

I get where the libertarian side of you comes from, I really do.  But the thing is that one of the ways many companies identify spammers is due to the fact that they fail to comply with the RFC's, so to me o2 must take their portion of the blame here.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

@ravenstar68 & @coneoby

Thanks for looking into that in way more depth than I could and actually identifying the problem!

In the short term, I think the only option is to use a non-VirginMedia email address for my o2 account.

It will be interesting to see if either o2 or VM (or both) do anything with what you found!

Once again, thanks for your efforts!

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ravenstar68 wrote:

...the thing is that one of the ways many companies identify spammers is due to the fact that they fail to comply with the RFC's, so to me o2 must take their portion of the blame here.

Hi Tim,

In fact I think we are both saying the same thing, although perhaps with a different weighting on the technical correctness versus 'libertarian' issue. 😊

Let's just hope that between them o2 and VM can arrive at a satisfactory resolution for the sake of both o2 and VM customers. They are the ones that matter at the end of the day.

This has been another thread I have thoroughly enjoyed being involved with. 😊

Coenoby

Ruggz
Tuning in

Same problem here, my spam settings are fine. I broke my phone now I cant access o2 account, through my email where I need to see the msg to password reset. They o2 have sent me 3 emails today and i need to see the emails for insurance purposes for my phone, so I can get my IMEI by resetting my password with o2. here is the msg I receive from o2 when I use the web password reset to say the msg has been sent -

Check your email

We've sent you an email to *****************@blueyonder.co.uk

Click the link in the email and you’ll be able to create a new password.

I've also called them on my land line twice and asked them to send me the emails whilst on phone, and they still have not arrived. decided to see if others with same issue and stumbled on this thread here. what can I do ? I'm disabled and i need to get my phone back and working asap but I cant file a insurance claim if i cant log into my o2 account which I forgot the password for. it seem virgin are some how blocking the emails at a higher level and i will reiterate that my spam settings are set to "receive in inbox marked as spam". so spam filter should not be a problem. these are some really important emails and o2 have reassured me on phone they were sent. As you can see above the response also from trying to reset my account through their online password reset. am really frustrated with this. any help would be greatly appreciated as to why these email are not reaching my inbox. thanks

@ruggz - the only thing I have been able to do is to change my email address on my o2 account. Luckily I was still able to log in to my account but I feel your pain here. The only suggestion I have is that you phone o2 and tell them that you no longer have access to the email account and ask them to change it. Have an alternative set up with Outlook or Google (or whoever you choose!) and use this instead, even if it’s only for your o2 account!

I know this is a fairly rustic solution but it may get you out of this situation sooner rather than later.

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Ruggz,

Thanks for getting in touch, and a warm welcome back to the Community Forum! I'm sorry that you're also having this problem with emails from O2.

Could you please confirm if this issue occurs on multiple devices? Do you access your emails through an email portal or a web browser? Do O2 receive any kind of error message when they try to send these emails to you?

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team