Menu
tjmack
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Not receiving email from certain domains

Recently noticed that I'm NOT receiving email from certain domains (whereas previously I'd receive them) to my @blueyonder.co.uk address.   And no, they don't end up in my spam folder either

I've noticed this happen with 2 domains this week:

@albionmobility.co.uk

@chartwellinsurance.co.uk

I assuming that this is your greylisting in action.  If so, what suggestions do you have to pass on to the companies in question and is there any way we can whitelist specific addresses ourselves?

Yours,

T.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not receiving email from certain domains

Hi Tjmack,

Thanks for posting on our forum and sorry to hear you're having problems receiving emails from certain senders.

You mentioned that you've checked your spam folder but just in case, can you check your deleted folder to make sure that the emails are not being deleted immediately due to your spam settings?

Are you able to ask them to forward you examples of any bounced back or undeliverable emails so we can trace them? Also any error codes will be useful.

Looking forward to your reply.

Lisa_CC

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Reading up on Virgin Media's post here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Advice-for-sending-emails-to-Virgin-Media-domains/td-p/39...

I decided to do a quick check on the two domains.  Both have SPF records

albionmobility.co.uk.   3600    IN      TXT     "v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all"
chartwellinsurance.co.uk. 300   IN      TXT     "v=spf1 include:spf.messagelabs.com ~all"

Although neither of them appear to have DMARC records.

If Greylisting and the sending server are behaving normally then mail shouldn't just vanish.  (I add both prerequisites because I recently came across a case where a server didn't follow normal SMTP guidelines).

Greylisting is an attempt to defeat fire and forget spam.  Normal SMTP delivery stipulates that in the event of:

• The receiving server not responding.
  • The receiving server sending back a 4xx error code.

That the sending party tries again.  (It's important to note that a majority of clients such as Outlook don't do this but a mail server always should.

In the event of a timeout limit being reached (which can be from several hours to several days)  The sending server will eventually report a delivery failed message, but in the majority of cases mail should be delivered within about 15 minutes of the first attempt.

Spam senders often try once and then give up and move on rather than attempting to redeliver to the same server.  Which is why greylisting can help reduce spam.  BUT it's not foolproof.

I do agree with @Lisa_CC here.  Trying to find out what's happening with an email usually starts from the sending side.  The companies involved should be able to see logs of the email transactions, including whether or not the mail send was accepted.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
tjmack
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The emails weren't being deleted by me - either directly or by using an incoming email filter.

Anyway, I've started getting emails again from @albionmobility.co.uk today, so God knows  what happened.  I've asked the company if they received any bounced emails when those messages went AWOL.

T.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello tjmack

Sorry to hear this has happened 

I will have a good look into this for you 

If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen 

You will see a few security questions I need to ask to for account access

Once that has been done 

Then I can look at what is causing the issue and get it fixed

Regards 

Gareth_L 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello tjmack

Thanks for replying 

I have checked your account, email settings Spoke to our 2nd Line Technical Support 

Good news is everything is okay from our side 

Again I can only advise that it would have been a one off issue from the senders side

If by any chance it happens again 

Jump back on here and let us know 

Gareth_L                                                                                                                                                                                                        

0 Kudos