Menu
daedalus
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Missing PST file

I checked my profile under office 2019 and the main mail users PST has gone. I have gone to where it saves the other users PST file and there are all there. The mail on this user works OK can send & receive emails ok. Does anyone know what has happened to this users PST file. Can it be recreated? Running windows 10

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missing PST file

@daedalus wrote:

I checked my profile under office 2019 and the main mail users PST has gone. I have gone to where it saves the other users PST file and there are all there. The mail on this user works OK can send & receive emails ok. Does anyone know what has happened to this users PST file. Can it be recreated? Running windows 10

If the mail for this user works ok then even though you cannot find the data file Outlook is obviously working fine so there is no need for action. 😉 The time to worry is if you see the dreaded error message “The file xxxx.pst cannot be found.” 

I would just say that PST folders are the data storage folders for POP3 email accounts. so presumably all the accounts for all the other email users must be using the POP3 protocol.

However if the 'main' user's settings are IMAP  (or they are using MS  Exchange or Outlook.com accounts) then their data will be stored in  an .ost file not a .pst file.

Either way you can easily see where their Outlook data files are stored.

In Outlook click on "File" then "Account settings" then click the "Data  Files" tab

outlook data files.png

Find the 'main' user's account in the list (the 3 pixelated lines in the image) and the location of the relevant data file (.pst or .ost) will appear beside it.

The other point to bear in mind is that it is possible to set Outlook to store the emails from a number of email accounts in the same location. I have a number of email addresses all using pop3 and they all appear in the same Outlook inbox and all get saved in the same .pst file. That works for me but it does mean that I just have a single .pst file for all the pop3 email accounts.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missing PST file

Hi @daedalus,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

I can see you have had some useful advise from @coenoby.

Let me know if you have any further questions. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos