cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail box not available

gusgreg
Tuning in

All of a sudden our mail is not working correctly.

My wife can not access her email at all and I can now not send email from my phone - only from the webmail site.

My wife has the primary account and she is not able to log in at all to the webmail, just keep getting

Your mailbox is not available at the moment.

From her iphone and ipad which has been working for years she now gets the password in incorrect. We can log in to the Virgin Media site but when you try and access email we get that error. I have tried reentering the passwords on the iphone email settings for the smtp setting but no luck. 

I have also tried to reset the password on the virgin media site too but it will not even allow me to do that.

Very frustrating as my wife is dealing with some serious stuff for her very elderly father and she is being sent emails which she can not read nor send emails.

I can not get through to anyone and have tried the chat service but no one came back to me.

Thank in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@gusgreg wrote:

Hi Tom

Thanks for the prompt response. I would have my wife contribute here but in order to do so you have to verify your email when you signup... guess where this is going! 🙂 

We can not get the email from to verify her on this community!!

We have tried different browers, ipads and machines. When I treid one of the links to reset her password, I got an error on the Virgin Media site saying there was something wrong on your side. Also when we try to reset her password and it asks for her date of birth and mother maiden name it just does nothing. Does not actually move off that page and the submit button does nothing.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Gus

Your wife could set up an alternative free email address with Outlook.com or Gmail ( others available) and use that to register for a community account here.

This would be a good move in any case as it will still be there should you decide to stop using VM as your ISP or when VM decide to shut down their free email offering for current broadband customers.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @gusgreg thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear your wife's email isn't working at the moment.

I would've advised for you to reset your wife's password, but as you mention you've already tried to do this without success.

If your wife is the main account holder, she would need to contribute here as we can't reset the password without her consent first.

Alternatively, could you perhaps try a different browser or device and try to reset the password from your side, wait 30 minutes before re-logging back in and let us know how you get on?

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi Tom

Thanks for the prompt response. I would have my wife contribute here but in order to do so you have to verify your email when you signup... guess where this is going! 🙂 

We have tried different browers, ipads and machines. When I treid one of the links to reset her password, I got an error on the Virgin Media site saying there was something wrong on your side. Also when we try to reset her password and it asks for her date of birth and mother maiden name it just does nothing. Does not actually move off that page and the submit button does nothing.

Gus

Also Tom

I did try this from another community post.

curl -sv smtps://virginmedia.com -u username:password

I got this response

* connect to 213.105.9.24 port 465 failed: Operation timed out

* Failed to connect to virginmedia.com port 465 after 82020 ms: Operation timed out

* Closing connection 0

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@gusgreg wrote:

Hi Tom

Gus

Your wife could set up an alternative free email address with Outlook.com or Gmail ( others available) and use that to register for a community account here.

This would be a good move in any case as it will still be there should you decide to stop using VM as your ISP or when VM decide to shut down their free email offering for current broadband customers.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks Graham,

Although I would have thought that VirginMedia would question that as that could be anyone asking for a password/account to be reset.

We have not used VM as our ISP since dial up modem days! We we live now they do not provide highspeed service here.

Cheers Gus

Thanks for coming back to us @gusgreg, we would do some account/security checks, when someone ask for an email password to be reset, we wouldn't just reset the password for anybody and as my colleague advised, only the account holder can ask for a password reset.

Regards,

Steven_L

Steven

How then can I get this resolved?? My wife is not hugely technical and just wants her email back!! Does them mean I have to setup a new email for her and then get her to sign up to this forum? Alot of hassle!

Can you even tell me what the issue is please?

Regards

It will unfortunately gusgreg,

Due to data protection law, we can only deal with the account holder. Once your wife has created her own thread, we will pick this up and sort our the email issue. 

Kind regards Jodi. 

Thanks Jodi

She has now done that and hopefully her account will be unlocked/fixed or whatever needs to be done.

Cheers

Gus