cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legacy Email Addresses

Mr_Crabbit
Dialled in

@jem101

I've joined this forum to try and get help regarding the closure of my virgin.net mailbox. One of my virgin.net email address has been my principle one since my dial-up days in the early 1990s. I have used it almost daily until last week when access to it was suddenly stopped.

Will someone please explain company policy regarding the use of legacy email addresses? What is wrong with maintaining email address connectivity for customers who have stuck with Virgin Media down the years as it merges with other businesses? In my case I joined ntl World as a cable customer and was told I could keep my virgin.net addresses as Virgin Net used ntl's backbone. This proved to be the case. As I understand it, ntl World was subsequently rebranded as, or was merged with, Virgin Media. Again, there was not an issue with the continued use of my virgin.net email addresses, nor my ntlworld.com email addresses as the instructions on how to connect to the appropriate email servers were spelled out on the new company's website. I seem to remember blueyonder customers were catered for too.

Can I please have continued and on going access to my principle virgin.net mailbox?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Mr_Crabbit

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear of the email issue.

I can see you've called us and an IT ticket has been raised. 

Have you also tried to reset your password to something new and unique? Also done malware scans on all devices? 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Mr_Crabbit

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear of the email issue.

I can see you've called us and an IT ticket has been raised. 

Have you also tried to reset your password to something new and unique? Also done malware scans on all devices? 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John_GS,

The penny has finally dropped! I read the ModTeam post from 3 weeks ago...

Email accounts locked, mailbox unable, unable to a... - Virgin Media Community - 4808847 

and followed its instructions. My virgin.net mailbox is accessible once again I'm glad to report.

FYI, the error message I got directed me to the telephone number for customer service. Unfortunately the customer service person I spoke to didn't seem to know about this issue and had me trying in vain to contact Talk-Talk(!) She has therefore escalated my problem to the next level and I await a call from one of her colleagues. Can someone please ensure that customer service staff are briefed about this possible solution? I can see from other threads on this forum that I am not the only one who has had this accessibility problem. It has taken a while to get my service restored and I'd be at my wit's end by now if I hadn't delved into this forum.

My question remains though, can someone please tell me what your company policy is re legacy email addresses that use obsolete domain names?

Thank you,

Mr_Crabbit

Thank you for the update @Mr_Crabbit.

We are glad to hear you were able to gain access back to your email account. We further apologise for the experience you had when contacting our team.

In regards to email accounts, you may find the following link useful https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you too for the link Akua_A

It looks like I'm best to continue downloading my email to my PC using Outlook in the meantime and hope that no one gets out of the wrong side of the bed one day and decides to kill off the active old addresses.

As a matter of interest, the 48 hours for my return call from the Customer Service Department has expired without contact from them. I don't know if that's because they know the situation has been sorted, or if it's because they're too busy directing people to Talk-Talk!

All the best,

Mr_Crabbit

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @Mr_Crabbit

I'm very sorry to hear the customer service team didn't follow up with a call as advised, this is not the level of service we aim to provide and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

If you have any issues from here, please just pop a post on this thread and we'll happily assist. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thank you for your apology Sofia_B

The lack of a return call has already been shrugged off thanks to the solution found here. So far so good re the mailbox. It appears I had to find out the hard way where to go first to get useful information. The Community Help Forum has been duly bookmarked in case I need it in future.

Thanks again,

Mr_Crabbit