Menu
daedalus
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Last week on Thursday/Friday my POP accounts stopped working

Last Thursday/Friday on my Iphone 12 my virgin POP accounts stopped working. To get them back I had to delete and re-install. However, since then the option of recent:email address has stopped working and comes up with a password error. I use this option so my emails are sent to my PC account and Iphone POP account. Has anyone had the same problem with recent option? if it does not work now how do you get the mails on your PC ands IPhone?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Last week on Thursday/Friday my POP accounts stopped working

The 'recent' prefix has actually been redundant since 2015 but until last week was automatically ignored by the server.  Now including 'recent' will cause an authentication error.

Whilst the POP protocol still works it is better to switch to IMAP when accessing email accounts on multiple devices.  You cannot simply change a POP account to IMAP you would need to set the account up again on each device using the IMAP settings.

The current recommended settings can be found here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438/jump-to/first-unread-m...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

daedalus
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you the update it is nice to know what is going on. However, on my PC I use office 19 using a POP3 email address(X2). If I swap my POP accounts on my IPhone12 to imap will I get a copy of my emails on both devices? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes, provided that you don't delete them on the iPhone before downloading to the PC.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Make sure that each and every device is set to leave the mails on the server.

recent: was a Gmail specific requirement due to some non standard features in their server.  VM used to strip it out previously as it has no place on a standard POP3 server.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
daedalus
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This was helpful, but after that I had to reinstall office. Then had problems getting Icloud to work with Office. All Microsoft could say use a Powershell commends - no way was I going to start playing with Powershell! In the end I fixed the problem. It came down to having a default protocol>
0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi @daedalus,

Welcome back to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thanks for your post regarding your email issue, I'm glad to hear you fixed the problem with the default protocol.

If you need any further assistance, please let us know.

Best wishes,

Serena

0 Kudos