cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping email address if leaving

growler222
Joining in

What is the current situation regarding keeping your Blue Yonder email address if you leave Virgin completely?  Is it any different if you keep the tv service? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Continued use of any virginmedia email address including blueyonder ones requires an ongoing VM broadband contract.  Without that the email address should cease to function 90 days after the broadband account is closed.  Keeping TV or a VM mobile is not sufficient.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

18 REPLIES 18

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Continued use of any virginmedia email address including blueyonder ones requires an ongoing VM broadband contract.  Without that the email address should cease to function 90 days after the broadband account is closed.  Keeping TV or a VM mobile is not sufficient.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Ok thanks....I know it used to be cancelled after 90 days I just wondered if things had changed recently as BT now offer a free email service via their site as well as the £7.50pm premium service.

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

I am afraid that Virginmedia do not offer email by itself without having a broadband account. Nothing has changed with regards to the 90 days.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I know it is not possible to keep your email address if you leave VM. I have just been speaking to Sky  because my Sky box has developed a problem and they offered me a Q box which I do not want as I'm going to leave Sky for number of reasons, which is when I got the sales pitch.  Now here is the bad sales from Sky. He said I can keep all my VM email accounts if I join Sky boardband which I know is not true. Can you believe it!

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

It's definitely not true Ashg, as advised above you would have 90 days of guaranteed access to your email account - despite what a salesman says what they've suggested isn't possible, I'm glad to hear that you weren't swayed by that. 

Tom 

@growler222 wrote:
Ok thanks....I know it used to be cancelled after 90 days I just wondered if things had changed recently as BT now offer a free email service via their site as well as the £7.50pm premium service.

I know this is an old post, but I was looking for some clarity in some email stuff. 

Just a quick note, £7.50 for an e-mail address that is not even @yourdomain? Who... what is the target audience for this? 

Thanks and regards,
Alexander

Explained here

https://www.bt.com/help/email/bt-email-products

Without bothering to look up the history ... IIRC BT used to offer former customers a paid-for option to carry on using their email address if they left BT (which I think was relatively uncommon at the time). I think the above is a next-generation version of that.

Presumably aimed at those who have been with BT forever-and-a-day and have their email-world wrapped up in a BT address and can't be bothered to disentangle it to something else when they leave BT.

Haven't used BT email myself in decades but I regularly receive spoofed spam/scam emails from known BT email contacts/users whose details have been stolen in past data leaks. Descriptions from people I know who currently use BT email suggest it is on a par, or worse, than VM email.

Honestly maintaining email accounts and mailboxes is real pain, the backend infrastructure costs and maintenance is not inconsiderable, so I can certainly imagine BT and other companies not really wanting to do it and making it economically unattractive to do so. VM have never offered this service (probably never will), and I can’t blame them.

I see, thanks! There seems to be a market that is willing to pay it. I had no idea, so thanks for letting me know. I don't really know what's good or bad in an e-mail, as I most of the time had a free e-mail account, which worked most fine. As a result, I can't imagine paying £7.50 for an @btinterent or some domain like e-mail.

I'm doing some research on e-mails and there are companies that offer a personalised @whateveryouwant e-mail for £1/month as a promotion for one year or £2.5 without promotion. 

Thanks and regards,
Alexander