cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this email real or not? From email@em.virginmedia.com

bethanyemma
Joining in

Hi,

I received an email from email@em.virginmedia.com saying that I was selected to try Virgin's new WiFi Pods?

The email looks legitimate, but I feel like you can never be too careful with emails that say you're randomly in luck about something 😛 

Does anyone know if this is legitimate or not please? 

Thank you!

27 REPLIES 27

OFCOM are doing this to help people switch to CHEAPER packages - but Virgin are misusing this iniative to suggest MORE EXPENSIVE packages. Is that so difficult for you to understand? Maybe you think it is OK for Virgin to act AGAINSt their customer's interests rather than help them, as OFCOM wants.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

There's no requirement for the provider to give you a cheaper package. You are most likely going to get a cheaper package by moving provider. The OFCOM requirements are outlined below. It uses the words 'best deals'.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2020/companies-must-tell-customers-...

Further explained in the FAQs at the bottom of this article

https://www.cable.co.uk/providers/guides/end-contract-notifications/

The initiative kicked off around Feb 2020 which is why you are receiving the notifications from that point forward advising you that you are 'out of contract'. You would have been 'out of contract' before this but there was previously no obligation to tell you. I received such a notification in Jan 2021.

It mentioned that my contract had ended and what I was paying monthly. It advised I might get a better offer with another provider. It listed two comparable current packages at comparable prices. I was offered a cheaper price on a current package by a slight downgrade in services. It also advised what a new customer would pay for the same downgraded package.

I think for your argument to go any further you would have to find which packages VM currently have on offer, with comparable features to your existing package, which you have not been offered in the annual notification.

My contract has NOT ended - I am NOT out of contract so none of that applies. Since the email says I can do nothing and stay on my existing package if I want, that PROVES I can't be out of contract. Have you actually READ what I have posted - and understood it?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Last post from me on this ...

Have read your post(s) but your own view on whether you are 'out of contract' (or not) is somewhat irrelevant to the process that is taking place because OFCOM and VM deem that you are 'out of contract'. Hence you will be receiving the notifications each year telling you that from this point forward, as OFCOM requires.

You can let OFCOM know how you feel about the annual renewal notifications (and the 'out of contract' wording) by going to the bottom of this page ('Tell OFCOM')

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/complaints/complain-about-phones-or-internet-services/contracts

and use the link to the short monitoring form

VM have been using 'under hand' practices for years. They used to send out letters in brown envelopes and make the enclosed letter look like a bill, when really it was just an advertising leaflet.... (was many years ago tho'.....)

ALF28
Super solver

I have had an email from virgin- on 4/11/21

Information on the new iPhone + competition

sent from-

email@em.virginmedia.com> Using CanopyDeploy 3

I presume it is genuine?

I also had a contract notice from this address which appears to be genuine and quotes my present package with alternatives.

alf28 

bigglesch
Tuning in

Be VERY carefull - hackers have sent similar emails with a pdf attached that is NOT genuine.
ALWAYS look at the From and any BCC addresses to see why you received it
I just received email purportedly from Virgin MEdia, but the from email address shows it was actually "Virgin Media <REMOVED@gmail.com>"
Reply address was email@em.virginmedia.com

and BCC to my email address

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post.]

No it's not genuine!