cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this email real or not? From email@em.virginmedia.com

bethanyemma
Joining in

Hi,

I received an email from email@em.virginmedia.com saying that I was selected to try Virgin's new WiFi Pods?

The email looks legitimate, but I feel like you can never be too careful with emails that say you're randomly in luck about something 😛 

Does anyone know if this is legitimate or not please? 

Thank you!

27 REPLIES 27

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mikes2400 wrote:

I have also received an email today from email@em.virginmedia.com - Virgin sent it to my Spam folder (as I would expect). I'm surprised that the consensus seems to be that it's a genuine email address.

The email says I am "out of contract" and suggest a more expensive package. How can I be out of contract after about 20 years? I'm very dubious about it (allthough it does correctly quote all my package details, including the amount).

Can it really be genuine?

OFCOM require providers to mail customers with regular notification about their account, including those not currently under a minimum term contract

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/annual-best-tariff-notification

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

But how can I be out of contract? I've never had a fixed term contract - it is open-ended, and has been (as I said) for over 20 years, so this makes no sense. And why are they suggesting a package that is £30 more a month than my current one? If genuine, then it's still a scam - one that Virgin themselves are guilty of.

Note also that Virgin Mail thinks it's Spam!

As I understand the contract side of things -- Your initial contract would have been for (say) 12 months, after the 12 it just rolls on. you can get out of a 'rolling' contract at any time, without paying a penalty like you would have to do in the first 12 months..

They are correct in saying you are 'Out of Contract' - If anything, you should ring up and try for a Cheaper deal (which is what I do every time my current contract comes to an end...)

Yes, I am on a rolling contract and haven't requested a change to that. So I repeat how can I be out of contract? And rather than suggest a cheaper contract, the whole thing is designed to get me to pay £100 rather than £70 a month. That's why I call it a scam.

Doesn't anyone think it s a disgrace for Virgin to (a) lie about being me out of contract), and (b) suggest I pay £30 a month mot?

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The notification is for being out of any fixed term commitment, so even those on the 30 day notice will get them. From the link above:

What’s an annual best tariff notification?

When you joined or renewed with us, you’ll have agreed a fixed term contract for your current deal. Now that you’re no longer within your minimum commitment period, we wanted you to have all the information you need to decide what to do next.

Honestly, you're one of the few people that doesn't conflate a minimum term with the whole contract.

Clearly you don't understand what "out of contract" means - it means an expiry date has been reached and I have to renew. Neither of those two things apply, so it is a deceit for Virgin to claim I'm out of contract. Especially when the purpose is to pretend I have to now pay £30more.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mikes2400 wrote:

Clearly you don't understand what "out of contract" means - it means an expiry date has been reached and I have to renew. Neither of those two things apply, so it is a deceit for Virgin to claim I'm out of contract. Especially when the purpose is to pretend I have to now pay £30more.

I have a copy of one in My Virgin Media and this is what I have - there is nothing in the copy I have that says I must make a change:

Here are your choices...
Keep the package you’ve got And carrying on enjoying the service you have with us right now.

Switch to another package with us
We’ll help you find the perfect one for you at a great price – just call 0345 454 1111.

You can choose to leave
We’d love you to stay but you’re free to look around.

Check out our packages

At the moment, you may be on the best package for you, so you could simply do nothing and stay put. Or, you could call us for a chat about our great packages, like the ones below, on 0345 454 1111 or 150 from your Virgin Media phone or mobile.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@mikes2400 wrote:

Whether you are 'out of contract' or 'not currently in a contract', VM are complying with their OFCOM requirements whilst at the the same time trying to upsell you a more expensive package. If you have been with VM for 20 years, then VM will regard you as being unlikely to move away so you may get all manner of different and uncompetitive offers from them (or no decent offers at all).

You've got several choices. You can just ignore it and carry on with your existing package. You can ring up and try to negotiate a better deal than your current one or you can use it as a prompt to do a bit of looking around to see what else is on offer from different providers. That is the intended aim of the OFCOM requirement.

With FTTP from Openreach slowly gaining ground VM's speed advantage is gradually being eroded. That is certainly the case in my area and VM has lost custom as a result. 

How many times do I have to say this? What i'm complaining about is Virgin PRETENDING I am out of contract when I'm not (simply as a device to get me to pay more). I am still hopeful that someone will actually address the point I'm making rather than engage in irrelevances. That is the whole point of this Forum.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mikes2400 wrote:

How many times do I have to say this? What i'm complaining about is Virgin PRETENDING I am out of contract when I'm not (simply as a device to get me to pay more). I am still hopeful that someone will actually address the point I'm making rather than engage in irrelevances. That is the whole point of this Forum.

It's the same language OFCOM use

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/in-or-o...

Millions of people are out of contract and could be getting a better deal on their phone, broadband and pay-TV – are you one of them?

If you’re already out of contract, you must be reminded you’re out of contract, and told every year about your firm’s best deals.