cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is E-Mail Down?

ahrbee
Fibre optic

Our ntlworld e-mail address stopped working this evening, asking for us to insert our password. It says unable to verify  account name or password. We have changed nothing and our internet connection is OK. Has the server gone down again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Each email address now has its own My VM account

Secondary accounts changes now have to be made via the My Virgin Media account for the secondary email.

Sign into the account here: https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media using the email address concerned and the current password. Once logged in click on Account Settings then Account details. You should now see the options to change password etc.

If that isn't available try https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password

If no security answers have been set for the email address concerned then you will need to call in for support and select technical issues> email

In another recent security change by VM the password reset process is now likely to require you to set up a third party email address as the new username for the secondary account.  A verification code will be sent to the third party email address.

After changing the username this will become the login name for the secondary account when using VM webmail or the My Virgin Media account for the secondary email.

If you use an email client to access the email address you will also need to generate an app password for the account. Note the username for email client access will be the actual email address not the third party username.

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

ahrbee
Fibre optic

My ntlworld secondary account has just stopped working. It asks me to insert my password but then says that it cannot verify the account or password. I can access My Virgin account and as far as I can tell, I can still use my primary e-mail account. What is going on please? My secondary account was working normally this evening and suddenly it has stopped. Please help.

ahrbee
Fibre optic

I have related issue.

Our secondary e-mail address stopped working this evening. It asked for the password to be inserted and then said the account and password were not recognised. As far as I can see, my primary e-mail address is working and I can log into My Virgin Media. The system has referred me to  a page which says my account has been locked for security reasons and suggests I embark on a complicated procedure of changing passwords. This procedure seems to refer to a primary account being locked, not a secondary one. I am frankly confused and stressed at the prospect of following the various steps to change passwords as this might block me from my primary account as well as the secondary account.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Each email address now has its own My VM account

Secondary accounts changes now have to be made via the My Virgin Media account for the secondary email.

Sign into the account here: https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media using the email address concerned and the current password. Once logged in click on Account Settings then Account details. You should now see the options to change password etc.

If that isn't available try https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password

If no security answers have been set for the email address concerned then you will need to call in for support and select technical issues> email

In another recent security change by VM the password reset process is now likely to require you to set up a third party email address as the new username for the secondary account.  A verification code will be sent to the third party email address.

After changing the username this will become the login name for the secondary account when using VM webmail or the My Virgin Media account for the secondary email.

If you use an email client to access the email address you will also need to generate an app password for the account. Note the username for email client access will be the actual email address not the third party username.

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Simple!

Thank you very much. It looks very complicated but I will have to try to do it as the account is very important to us. I will let you know what happens.

Please can you clarify what is an email client? Is this MAIL in my iMac and iPhone and the mail app on my wife's Galaxy and laptop - or something else that we do not use?

ahrbee
Fibre optic

I have been able to sign into the secondary account but it no longer shows 'account details'. Initially, I was able to see account details but the 'edit password' link failed to operate.

The second try did not show 'account details' at all; and the option for 'email' simply tells me that my account is locked. It provides instructions to follow. The VM instructions tell me to try to sign in but use the reset password option. I did so and filled in my date of birth and security question answer but it would not proceed, directing me to contact VM.

I will make a call but this looks like a long, wasted day ahead.

I have been able to change my secondary email account username to my gmail address. I have received emails to my gmail account to change the password. The links take me to a site to change the password but it immediately says the link has expired and sends me in a circular loop back to requesting a link to change the password. It tells me to contact VM but there is no phone number that works. The ones suggested are unknown!

Please can anyone tell me the number to ring on my 02 mobile phone to get help with unlocking my e-mail account.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ahrbee  An email client is any program or application used to access email accounts so Mail on your iPad and the mail app on your wife's Galaxy are email clients.

The phone number is 0345 454 1111, however there seems to be an issue with it at the moment as I cannot call if from my landline.

Your best bet is to wait for the VM Forum Team staff to reach this thread. They should be able to assist you.  They will respond here shortly.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi ahrbee,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Sincere apologies for the email issues faced, so we can investigate the matter further I've dropped you a PM.

The message will appear within the envelope icon.

Regards,

Kain