Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Increase in Spam but in main mailbox

For some reason the past couple of weeks has seen a marked increase in blindingly obvious Spam getting straight into my main inbox. Every message has been directed into my Spam box and the sender blocked but still I get regular messages with very similar email addresses......why is the spam filtering not working and how can it be tightened up?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Increase in Spam but in main mailbox

Have you set up spam filters? 

Marking an email as SPAM or NOT SPAM in Virgin Media Mail will move that email to the relevant folder, but doesn't maintain that choice for future messages for that sender.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@rich40w wrote:

For some reason the past couple of weeks has seen a marked increase in blindingly obvious Spam getting straight into my main inbox.

The first thing to check is that the spam settings in your VM Webmail account are still set to "Move message to spam folder"

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-email-spam-settings 

They almost certainly are but it would be as well to make sure. 😉

Every message has been directed into my Spam box and the sender blocked but still I get regular messages with very similar email addresses

As you have discovered the blocked sender option simply will not work with spam. Spammers regularly switch to using  "very similar" email addresses specifically to defeat them. Marking the emails as spam should in theory train the VM spam filter but I am not sure anyone has ever seen evidence of that.

why is the spam filtering not working

Er.......because it's not very good? Sorry, I'm not being sarcastic just saying how it is.

and how can it be tightened up?

That would need Virgin Media to give more priority to improving it. Indeed, giving more priority to improving their email offering in general would be a start. In reality I think that is unlikely to happen but you can live in hope. In the meanwhile switching to a professionally run email service such as Outlook.com or Google (if you are happy with their attitude to privacy) would be a good way to ease your problems.

Coenoby 

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Although far from perfect, in general the auto spam has detected many obvious spams but for some reason the past couple of weeks it has spammed legitimate emails but let obvious spam trying to sell me bit coin and face masks through......just curious why this has suddenly happened?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@rich40w wrote:

.just curious why this has suddenly happened?

Spammers are always trying to up their game to beat spam filters. I would think it is simply down to the time that it takes the spam filters (and those who develop them) to catch up with a new style of spam.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos