cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Blacklisted can't send emails

sheran1961
Joining in

Hi, 

I'm suddenly unable to send emails, and this error message has popped up.

An unknown error has occurred.

Subject ''
Server Error: 421
Server Response: 421 csmtp3.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net cmsmtp Sorry your IP is active in our local abuse blacklist. Contact Virgin Media abusedesk for delisting requests.
Server: 'smtp.virgin.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC67
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No

I've checked my IP on MXtoolbox and it's only blacklisted with SORBS DUHL and Spamhaus ZEN which Virgin has said is normal and shouldn't cause any problems with sending emails.

When I go to the abuse desk page there is nowhere to request my IP being delisted or anywhere else to ask for help. 

Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?

Thanks

44 REPLIES 44

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Eponemuss wrote:

One more thing to note is that it is only a problem on wifi. If We send from my iPhone in iOS Mail it works. 

Which is to be expected with any blacklist.  It's all about the IP address that the mail server sees it's connected to.

When you're on wifi it's your public VM address.  When you're using 4g you're connecting from a public IP.

@Gareth_L - Provided you've got the users account details, you have their current VM public IP.  This needs to be queried with security.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks @ravenstar68 and @Eponemuss

I can flag this with our internet security team and and get them to look into this 

Can you please leave this with me

As its Sunday It may not get picked up until tomorrow now 

I can update you once I have a reply 

Gareth_L

Thanks. 
I look forward to hearing from you. 
thanks @ravenstar68 for your input. 

EVYB
Tuning in

I had the same issue last week but David from forum team looked into it and now sorted. Great service!

Unfortunately, I'm still in the same position after more than a week. I'm waiting to see if any one has an answer at Virgin  before following Ravenstar's very helpful advice  

Gareth

Do you have any news for me on this? 
I’m disappointed not to have heard from your security team in the last week. 
We are still experiencing the same issues. This is, to say the least, infuriating. 
Can you help please? 
Andrew. 

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for reaching out to us, we are sorry for the delay in a update, Gareth is currently off and in his absence I am going to take ownership of this, I have reached out again to our Internet Security team and I will update you as soon as I hear anything back, as it is Friday it may be the early end of next Week when they come back to me, if you can use your Mobile Data where needed and we will work to get this resolved ASAP, apologies again for any inconvenience caused and for the delay in getting this resolved.

Kind regards

Paul.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Paul_DN 

I'm going to throw in my two penny's here.

Based on the error message, the security team would appear to have initiated their own blacklist in order to protect their outbound servers.

IP addresses don't end up on blacklists for no reason, even the policy blacklists - which list IP addresses that are allocated via DHCP - have specific criteria.

My thoughts are that I've seen on this forum indications that spammers are sending mails using VM IP addresses - viewing the headers which show a blank X-Authenticated: header are strongly indicative of this.

I personally think that blacklisting is the wrong way to go.  What I would do, were I running VM's servers, is remove IP authentication from the three legacy servers,

• smtp.virgin.net
  • smtp.ntlworld.com
  • smtp.blueyonder.co.uk

This is because currently if Iwere a spammer and I have access to a machine on a Virgin Media IP address, I could use the above servers to send without having to use a username and password.  IP authentication has no place in todays world IMHO.

I would rather upset users and get them to update ther email settings in order to protect my servers, than continuing with a system of SMTP servers that is open to abuse.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

audi708
Joining in

Hi, I have the same problem, can someone contact me to work on a fix for this please.

Hi audi708, I've sent you a private message to confirm your account details.

Cheers,

Corey C