cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've been hacked!

lisa0366
Joining in

Hi, I’ve been hacked on my ntl world email. Someone has changed my password. I’m no longer with Virgin but I was still able to access my emails through the app on my phone and for some reason this was receiving messages as if I was still with Virgin.  I have deleted the app now as someone has taken over my instagram, after also hacking my facebook and taking over my Netflix account.  I have managed to sort out facebook and Netflix but Instagram want an email verification from the ntlworld account which obviously I cannot get into. Please can anyone help to recover my account - Instagram are being really unhelpful and I am very worried as there are pictures of my children on this.  Any help would be really appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

jem101
Superstar

Lisa

The problem here is that to keep a virgin media email address you need to have a live VM broadband account. Once you leave the email account and all of the mail in it should be deleted after 90 days. Now obviously this doesn’t always happen as you have found, but eventually it catches up and VM, without warning will start the process of deleting the account.

Now unfortunately, as you are no longer a VM customer, they will be unwilling, or more likely, unable to help you regain access to this account, the best they can do is to expedite the deletion of it.

I’m glad that you have been able to regain control of your Netflix and Facebook accounts, are you sure there is no other way of getting Instagram to give you access again? 

Look worse case scenario, someone else now has access to all of your Instagram pictures, and if you are unable to regain access, all they have, from their perspective, is a set of random pictures of children. Don’t get me wrong, I know how distressing this will be, but the chances of anything bad happening are minuscule. Please try to not worry too much.

And immediately, get yourself a new email address not tied to any particular internet provider and start changing all of your social media accounts to that one to avoid any similar issues in the future.

Best wishes

John

Hi John

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.  You have put my mind at ease somewhat - I have changed my email address etc as you suggested. Unfortunately I'm not having much luck with Instagram - they seem to be protecting the hacker rather than me, but I am going to see if I can take it further.

Thanks again.

Lisa

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums lisa0366, and a very warm welcome to you!

I'd like to be able to instruct our IT team to close down the E-Mail account to limit any further damage that the hacker can cause you

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn