cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I create an email rule to block a specific SMTP server

ChrisGorringe
Tuning in

In VM email, you can create rule filters but the help for them appears to be limited.

I am betting a lot of spam from 2 specific SMTP servers in the Netherlands which are not blocked by any spam databases. How can I add a rule to block (discard) all emails from a specific SMTP server?

Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES 10

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi ChrisGorringe,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry to hear you're having an issue with Spam, to set up the blacklist for repeating spam you'll need to sign into webmail at mail.virginmedia.com.

Select a message from the email address you with to blacklist. Use the action icon and then select Blacklist sender.

Check that the enail address will be added to the blacklist, and click Blacklist Confirm 🙂

Alex_Rm

jem101
Superstar

@ChrisGorringe wrote:

In VM email, you can create rule filters but the help for them appears to be limited.

I am betting a lot of spam from 2 specific SMTP servers in the Netherlands which are not blocked by any spam databases. How can I add a rule to block (discard) all emails from a specific SMTP server?

Thanks in advance.

I am almost certain that VM’s system would not have any means to do this.

Hi Alex

Thanks for this but the whole spam problem at the moment has gone mad. Initially, I thought that a lot of the spam was coming from 3 specific servers but I can now see that that isn't true so my original question isn't going to solve my problems.

Is there any updates from VM with regards to how they are solving the spam problem on VM email accounts?

I was hoping that I could use the "Received from" filter to specify an ip address or a hostname.

@ChrisGorringe wrote:

I was hoping that I could use the "Received from" filter to specify an ip address or a hostname.

Alas, I believe the ‘received from’ is the return address as specified in the email. To do what you want, you’d need to dig through all the header info in the email, which I don’t think is exposed to the email client (well at least not directly).

@ChrisGorringe

If you want to view the header online
Select the relevant email
click on 'more actions' (next to the 'archive' button)
then click on 'view source'
you can now scroll through the message header etc to find something to block using the VM filter rules

@albob Yes but is that information exposed to the filter rules engine?

Hint - probably not

@jem101

".Yes but is that information exposed to the filter rules engine?."

I doubt it , I select something (e.g. - McAfee) and create a rule 

I receive  SPAM emails direct to my PC in 'windows live mail' : I then look at the email 'Properties' = 'Details' = 'Source' ; Pick out something e.g. McAfee and create a rule on my VM account. 

I now have several rules :: Karmen ; McAfee and they are working

(my favourite rule  = Date: Wed4 Oct 2020 18:44:07 -0400  !!)

😉

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jem101 wrote:

@albob Yes but is that information exposed to the filter rules engine?

Hint - probably not

Not sure where you get that idea from.

As far as I understand that information is precisely what the filters compare against.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks