Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Has there been a data breach at Virgin Media??

Given the number of mail accounts that have suddenly become 'unavailable' in the last few days (I include mine in this list), and the growing number of posts from users on this forum complaining that their accounts have been hacked (mine was actually hacked last weekend and used in a fraudulent purchase on EBay), is it a fair assumption to make that there has been a data breach at Virgin Media, and that personal account details have been stolen??

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Has there been a data breach at Virgin Media??

There was A data breach about a year ago where usernames/email addresses were stolen & possibly passwords.

I’ve seen an increase of spam emails to my main VM email account in the last 6 months.
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/News/Virgin-Media-s-data-incident-Help-and-Advice/ba-p/4166258

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Maybe the hackers have been storing these details for future use and have just got round to using mine, maybe the timing of the account locking was just coincidental?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

There is some current problems with a number of users not being able to access one or more accounts.
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Webmail-403-Mailbox-Unavailable-errors/m-p/4294661#M19500...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

yes, I'm one of them which lead me to suspect there may be a deeper, more sinister issue

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@big_del wrote:

yes, I'm one of them which lead me to suspect there may be a deeper, more sinister issue

As I pointed out in one of your many other threads on the subject, as you are not a VM broadband customer your virgin.net address should have been closed down a long time ago.  You are using it on borrowed time and it is liable to be closed at any time without notice.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks