Menu
skderby
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hacked VirginMedia email

About 9 years ago I joined Virgin Media and took advantage of the free email addresses. I set one up for my wife and we have both been using them ever since.

About 5 years ago I left for a while. I was told that the email addresses would be deleted after 90 days. That did not happen and they continue to work. I re-joined Virgin 3 years ago.

Recently, it has become apparent that my wife's email address has been hacked - hundreds of send failure notices and notices of new account set ups etc. Thus, we either need to change the password or just delete the account. The problem is that it can't be accessed through the My Virginmedia portal, being an old account.

I have contacted Customer Services who say they cannot help as it is an old account. I'm pretty sure that is a massive breach of GDPR regulations.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hacked VirginMedia email

Try signing into to My Virgin Media > My Profile > Manage Accounts using the old account's primary authentication credentials to change the secondary account's password.

FYI currently your older email addresses are at risk of being permanently deleted, without warning, as they are not linked to an account with broadband service, see following post Orphan Email accounts. With some urgency do consider requesting these older email addresses be linked against your account; be aware this process will overwrite those email addresses currently linked against the account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

skderby
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks  for your reply. I have tried to log in with my old account credentials. Sadly it doesn't work. In my conversations with customer service staff, they have confirmed that I can't do that as the old account is now inactive.

I have been trying to get the orphan email addresses added to my current account or deleted, but keep being told that it is impossible. I suspect that it is perfectly possible, but I have to speak to the right person - an apparently overseas call centre did not fill me with confidence as to their competence or commitment to customer service.. Any ideas on who that might be a good contact would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Issue has been flagged to the forum team who are best placed to help further; be aware it can take them a few hours / days to respond.

Katie_WT
Forum Team Manager
Forum Team Manager
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there @skderby

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your post - sorry to understand that you've had some issues with some older email addresses.

Now, as the email addresses in question are linked to an inactive account, they should have been deleted long ago; as they we're still in use, it seems that they missed the purge. Now, as our VIP @用心棒 advised, it is possible to request that your old email addresses are moved to your now active account. 

Whilst this may not be possible, we're more than happy to ask. BUT - as mentioned in the thread, if we request to move them to your new account and this is accepted, they will override any email address you may have already registered.

So, would you prefer for them to be purged and deleted or would you like us to try and move them  to your new account for you?

Let me know and we can then send you a Private Message to take your account and email information 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

skderby
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that.

I'd like to try moving the old addresses to the new account.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team Manager
Forum Team Manager
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

We can only but ask for you @skderby!

I've located your active account so will pop you a Private Message so we can pass security with you and take information about your previous account and email addresses. Please look for the purple envelope in the top right of the page and pop me a reply when you can. 

Cheers!

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
skderby
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I've sent you a PM

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team Manager
Forum Team Manager
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much for that @skderby

I have popped the request over to our IT team to see if we can move your emails over to your new account; unfortunately it won't allow me to do this manually. This has been raised under reference number P010370017.

The usual timeframe for this is around 5 working days but we do usually get a reply back much sooner. 

Once I have any update, I'll be sure to let you know!

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

0 Kudos
skderby
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. It feels so much better when you feel that someone is actually trying to help 🙂

0 Kudos